The Success was built in 1840 at Natmoo, Burma, for Cockerell & Co. of Calcutta. After voyages in many trades, she became a prison hulk in Australia, then an exhibition ship in Australia, England, Ireland and the Great Lakes, United States. Her career ended when she burned at Port Clinton, Ohio, 4th July,1946.
Condition: Good, glued to moun.
some losses upper left and lower left corners.
Title from inscription on verso.
"View of Circular Quay about 1890. The demolition of the old buildings at the foot of Pitt Street had already begun, though the Oriental Hotel is still shown. The Fire Station, at the corner of George Street and Circular Quay is seen in process of erection. The old convict ship Success is moored to the wharf in the centre of the picture."--Typed inscription attached to verso.
Also available in an electronic version via the Internet at: http://nla.gov.au/nla.pic-vn3415591