There are over 1,917 NSW newspapers in the State Library's collection including 305 current titles and 1,612 'dead' titles.
Newspapers are a heavily used resource and provide an interesting reflection of the community. The city/country breakdown is 55% of NSW newspaper titles published in rural areas and 45% of titles in cities. Twenty-three percent, or about 70 titles, currently received are in 35 community languages other than English.
Accessing Newspapers at the State Library of New South Wales
Information about newspapers at the State Library of New South Wales and how to access them is available in the following places on the State Library's website:
- Newspapers - about the State Library of New South Wales' newspaper collection
- State Library of New South Wales' online catalogue
- Sydney Morning Herald index
- See also section on Access to newspapers at this website
Newspaper titles recently microfilmed
In addition to the systematic microfilming of all current newspapers, the following retrospective titles were filmed in 2011/12:
- Akropolis = Acropolis Mar-May 1980 (1 reel)
- Advocate (Coffs Harbour) 1991-1995 (Wed & Sat) (30 reels)
- The advocate/Gulargambone advocate Jun 1925-Dec 1926 (1 reel)
- Ariah Park news Jun 1931-Apr 1940 (1 reel)
- Castlereagh (Gilgandra, N.S.W.) Jan 1928-Oct 1929 (1 reel)
- Cretan news = Kritika nea Feb-May 1980 (1 reel)
- Construction 1951 (1 reel)
- Daily (Mosman, N.S.W.) Jan-Jun 1923 (1 reel)
- District reporter Nov 2002-Dec 2011 (9 reels)
- Gilgandra weekly (1942) Oct 1915-Nov 1968 (17 reels)
- Hoju-Dong-A Nov 1992-Jan 1993 (3 reels)
- Il Giornale Italiano Jul 1927-Jan. 1930 (2 reels)
- Layman Prompter Jan-Mar 1850 (1 reel)
- Literary news Aug 1837-May 1846 (1 reel)
- Mendooran & Merrygoen news Feb-Jul 1929 (1 reel)
- Myall Coast Nota Jan 1998-Aug 1999 (1 reel)
- Nota Apr 1970-Dec 1997 (7 reels)
- Penny Saturday journal Jan-May 1846 (1 reel)
- Southern star May 1970-Jul 1989 (61 reel)
- Wagga Wagga advertiser and Riverine reporter Jan-Dec 1871 (1 reel)
- The Western weekender - Hawkesbury Feb 2008-Jan 2009 (2 reels)
- Advocate (Coffs Harbour) 1991-1995 (Wed.& Sat.; 30 reels) donated to the SLNSW by the Coffs Harbour Regional Museum
- District reporter (Nov. 2002-Dec. 2011; 9 reels) donated to the SLNSW by the publisher.
- Gilgandra weekly & Castlereagh (pre-1949) back issues prior to 1949 were donated by the Editor/General Manager of the Gilgandra Weekly newspaper, and part owner of Gilgandra Newspapers Pty Ltd, Mrs Marion Ferrier.
- Myall Coast nota (1997-1999) loaned to the SLNSW for filming from the Tea Gardens Hawks Nest Family Research Group.
- Nota (Hawks Nest, N.S.W.; 1970-1996) loaned to the SLNSW for filming from the Tea Gardens Hawks Nest Family Research Group.
- Southern star (Moruya, N.S.W.; May 1970-July 1989; 61 reels) donated to the SLNSW by Moruya and District Historical Society.
Last updated February 2013