Applcations for 2014 have now closed. Applicants will be notified in early November. Applications for 2015 are expected to open in August 2014.
The National Library of Australia offers annual summer scholarships to support younger scholars undertaking any research which can be supported by the Library’s collections. These scholarships are made possible through the generosity of the family of the late Norman McCann (a former National Library Council Member), and of John and Heather Seymour.
Preference for Norman McCann Scholarships will be given to those working in the disciplines of Australian history, Australian literature, librarianship, archives administration or museum studies. Preference for Seymour Scholarships will be for those undertaking biographical research.
The scholarships are tenable for a period of six weeks commencing in the second week of January each year. Scholars have privileged access to the Library’s materials and facilities, as well as sustained interaction with many of its staff.
Who can apply?
The scholarships are open to students who have commenced postgraduate study and are under the age of thirty at 31 December in the year of their application. Applicants must be Australian citizens or have permanent residency. Preference will be given to applicants who would otherwise find it difficult to use the Library’s collections for reasons such as geographic distance from Canberra.
In selecting scholars the National Library of Australia Fellowships Advisory Committee will consider the
- Relevance of the National Library's collections to the project
- Academic potential of the applicant
- Referee reports.
Instructions for applicants
- Register as an applicant
- You can only submit your application online. Instructions are provided during the application process.
- After you have submitted an application, you will receive a confirmation email. A reference number and a copy of your application will be attached to the email.
- You are required to attach to your application a PDF copy of a certified transcript of your academic record and a PDF copy of a recently completed piece of research writing (eg a thesis chapter).
- You must nominate two referees, with their current contact details. The National Library will directly contact your referees but it is your responsibility to provide referees with a copy of your application.
- Applications close on 30 September 2013.
What assistance is offered?
Scholarship holders will receive an honorarium of $300 per week plus twin share accommodation with breakfast included, at University House at the ANU for the six-week duration of the scholarship. A return economy class air fare from the scholarship holder's home within Australia will also be provided.
Fellowships and scholarships
Phone: + 61 (0)2 6262 1258
Fax: + 61 (0)2 6273 5081