Celebrations on the Tweed!

Celebrations on the Tweed!
Our guest blogger Erika Taylor shares the history of the Tweed Valley newspapers
18 June 2015

Historians and researchers on the Tweed are celebrating—the Tweed Daily (1914-1949) is being digitised and added to Trove. The project has been made possible by The State Library of New South Wales as part of their Digital Excellence Program.

The Tweed's last weekly news publication

The newspaper trade started out robustly in the Tweed; on 31 October 1888 William Robert Baker published the first edition of the Tweed and Brunswick Advocate and Southern Queensland Record. Quite the mouthful, it was renamed the Tweed and Brunswick Advocate in 1903. A few short years after Baker's publication started, George Nicklin published his paper titled the Tweed Herald and Brunswick Chronicle in July 1893.

In 1913 both the Tweed and Brunswick Advocate and the Tweed Herald and Brunswick Chronicle were all issued out of one office in Murwillumbah.

Picture of newspaper office building

The Tweed Herald Newspaper office, circa 1900. The Tweed Herald was amalgamated with the Tweed Daily in 1914. http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/193470603

On 1 January 1914, the first edition of the Tweed Daily was published. This new publication incorporated the Tweed Herald and the Tweed Times. It is published by partners Phillip Tarlington, George Stainlay and James Gill and was the district’s first daily newspaper. In 1949 the Tweed Daily was published under the name Tweed and South Coast Daily, and changed again in 1957 when it became just The Daily News. In 2012, The Daily News stopped being published daily and moved to a weekend only publication model. The Tweed community mourned the loss of its last weekly news publication.

A whole new world of research opportunities

The Tweed Regional Museum, along with the Murwillumbah, Tweed Heads, and Uki & South Arm Historical Societies are so excited to be able to access The Tweed Daily in Trove. The digitisation of The Tweed Daily means a whole new world of research opportunities, discoveries, and accessible content.  

To find out interesting snippets of news, announcements, and juicy gossip in the Tweed Daily 'On this day 100yrs ago' follow our Facebook page.

Picture of the Tweed River

Murwillumbah Bridge with first Butter Factory and other buildings visible in background, Photograph by F.P. Hobbs, 1910. http://trove.nla.gov.au/version/208644211

 

The Trove Team would like to thank Erika Taylor from the Tweed Regional Museum for her guest post. Many of the Museum's interesting objects and ephemera can be found online in Trove.

-----------------

This post appears in our "Trove" blogs. To subscribe to future blogposts in this blog add http://www.nla.gov.au/blogs/trove to your RSS reader. To subscribe to all National Library blogposts, use http://www.nla.gov.au/blogs.