The National Library of Australia, in collaboration with the State Library of South Australia and under the auspices of IFLA PAC, has produced a set of preservation microfilming training material consisting of 10 modules, 6 wall charts, a logbook, a learning guide, a glossary/index and a small kit of practical training aids. The training material, Training in Preservation Microfilming, is the result of an IFLA PAC survey on microfilming training needs in the South East Asia and Pacific region conducted in 2001.
Training in Preservation Microfilming conforms to the accredited Australian preservation microfilming curriculum, and when delivered by an accredited agency, may be used for formal qualifications or to recognize current competencies. The resource could also be used as a guide to microfilming basics for those not wishing to undertake formal training.
Training in Preservation Microfilming was primarily developed foruse in the Asia Pacific region and is in English. It is available as downloadable PDF documents from this web page. A small number of printed copies are also available. These kits contain some additional resources which are referred to throughout the various modules of the training materials.
If you wish to recieve a printed set of these training materials please email email@example.com with your request.
- Learning Guide: Preservation Microfilming
- Log Book: Preservation Microfilming
- Module 1: Preservation Microfilming - Basics
- Module 2: Preservation of Materials
- Module 3: Preparation for Microfilming
- Module 4: Maintaining Microfilm Equipment
- Module 5: Operating Microfilming Equipment - Cameras
- Module 5: Chart 1 - Loading a microfilm camera - general steps
- Module 5: Chart 2 - Camera step tests
- Module 6: Jacketing and Splicing Microfilm
- Module 6: Chart 4 - Loading and operating a microfilm jacketer - typical steps
- Module 7: Processing and Duplicating Microforms
- Module 7: Chart 3 - Processing: preparing, loading and operating
- Module 7: Chart 6 - Duplicating silver halide film: preparation
- Module 8: Microform Quality Control Inspection
- Module 8: Chart 5 - Calculating the resolution
- Module 9: Physical Management and Storage of Microforms
- Module 10: Project Management for Preservation Microfilming
- Preservation Microfilming - Glossary and Combined Index