What is the Search and Rescue campaign?

In early 2008, the Search and Rescue Campaign was launched by the Australian Newspaper Plan (ANPlan) libraries to:

  • recruit the help of the public in finding newspapers which are missing from the collections of the ANPlan libraries;
  • raise public awareness of the role of libraries in collecting, preserving and providing access to Australian newspapers.

Conceived by the National and State Libraries Australasia (NSLA) Public Programs and Communications Working Group (PPCWG), the Search and Rescue campaign has been a joint publicity campaign of the ANPlan libraries.

Further information about the campaign

In support of the campaign, the Communications and Marketing Branch of the National Library of Australia (NLA) has produced media resources.

On 12 March 2008, the Tasmanian Minister for Education and Skills, David Bartlett, launched the ANPlan Search and Rescue campaign in Tasmania.

A list of newspapers from all states and territories which are known to be missing is available on the NLA’s ANPlan website

See also:

The Search and Rescue campaign has resulted in a very high level of interest from both the media and the public. Media coverage of the Search and Rescue campaign in print, radio, television and the Internet, has been extensive.

There have been many enquiries and offers of assistance with newspapers from members of the public. The campaign is demonstrating that the public are willing to work with libraries to ensure ongoing access to newspapers. Many have also contacted the libraries to offer significant non-newspaper material – ephemera, monographs and magazines.

A significant proportion of newspapers found to date were not previously known to exist.

 What newspapers have been found so far?

VIC

Spring Creek Advertiser and Rodney Standard (1868-9)

This newspaper from the central Victoria region published in the late 1860s has been donated to the State Library of Victoria (SLV). This newspaper was known to have existed in the 1860s but no copies of it had ever been sighted by Library staff or by leading historians of Victorian newspapers. The volume covering 1868-69 was found in the archives of a local newspaper office in Heathcote.

TAS

The examiner: north-west (1 Jan 1968 - 30 Apr 1969)

Five bound volumes of this newspaper have been found and acquired by the State Library of Tasmania (SLT). It was not previously known that this edition existed.

TAS

Weekly Courier ((17 Jul 1913 and 29 Oct 1914))

Collaboration with publisher

TAS

North Eastern Advertiser (1913-1914 & 1917)

 

TAS

Butterfly (Nov 1869; Apr-Aug 1870)

Catholic Standard (1937)

Colonial Record (1839)

Colonial Times (1825-1857)

Cornwell Chronicle (1935-1845; 1847-1880)

Emu Bay Times and North West & West Coast Advocate (1898-1899)

Hobart Town Courier (1827-1859)

Illustrated Tasmanian Mail (1921-1935)

Monitor (1894-1920)

Morning Star (1891-1894)

North Western Advocate (Devonport) and the Emu Bay Times (Burnie) Tasmania (1900-1911)

Tasmanian (Oct-Dec 1834)

Weekly Courier (1901-1935)

In 2008 the Archives Office of Tasmania (AOT) combined with the Heritage Collections section of the State Library of Tasmania to form the Tasmanian Archive and Heritage Office (TAHO). As a consequence of this merger, a number of titles formerly on the 'missing' list that were in AOT are to be incorporated into the one Newspaper collection in TAHO. This is a transitional process.

TAS

Mercury (Hobart) Southern edition July-Dec 1941

Found in a Hobart school during renovations and donated to SLT

TAS

Van Diemen's Land Chronicle (Hobart) Mar 4, 1842

The re-discovery of this loose copy is the first material evidence that the Van Diemen’s Land Chronicle did indeed continue beyond Dec. 1841. 

TAS

North Western Advocate and Emu Bay Times (Devonport & Burnie) miscellaneous issues from 1914-1916

Acquired from various sources; holdings for the period 1912-1918 are still fragmentary

QLD

Barcoo Independent (15 Nov 1902; 3 Apr 1906; 12 Oct 1907; 15 Oct 1910; 22 Oct 1910; 23 Dec 1916; 9 Oct 1926)

 

QLD

Daily Record Rockhampton (9 May 1907)

 

QLD

Warwick Daily News (19 Jun 1914; 4 Dec 1945)

 

QLD

Longreach Leader (3 Jan - 5 Dec 1930 & Sep 1955)

Donated from Longreach Shire Council Library.

QLD

Gympie Times (25 Apr 1992; 2 May 1992; 13 Feb 1992; 19 Dec 1995; 15 Apr 2005)

Donated by Gympie Library

QLD

Barfly

 

QLD

Cassowary Times

 

QLD

Courier Mail (15 Aug 1945)

 

QLD

Mackay MidWeek (14 Nov 1984-23 Dec 1986)

 

QLD

Marlin Coast Gazette

 

QLD

Muckay Mockery (1966-1999)

 

QLD

Son of Barfly

 

QLD

Suburbia (29 Apr 1941)

 

QLD

Norwester: A monthly budget of sense and humour (May 1926)

This newspaper was previously unknown to exist. Copies of this newspaper were found rolled up inside the brick wall of an old building in Townsville which was being renovated.  The rolls were labeled with the names of businesses to which the newspapers were meant to be delivered.  One was labeled "Terminus Hotel, Ingham", and the other "Royal Oak Hotel, Townsville". It is possible that these are the only surviving issues. Following their arrival at State Library, the newspapers were carefully unrolled by the library's Conservation staff, with the result that they can now be read. The Norwester vol. 1 no. 2, May 1926 is 32 pages long and the size of a magazine.  It contains Humour; Trade and Progress; Motors and Motoring; Stamp Collecting; Children's Page; Digger Doings; Ladies Page; Editor's Page; Clippings from here, there and everywhere; Cartoons; Illustrations; etc.

QLD

Esk Record (19 June 1942)

 

QLD

Goondiwindi Argus (selected issues 1915 & 1931)

 

QLD

McIntyre Herald (selected issues Apr-May 1915)

 

QLD

Pacific Airlines News (Oct 1969 - Apr 1977)

Loaned to State Library of Queensland by Gold Coast Local Studies Library for microfilming

QLD

Queensland Times (23 June 1896)

Donated to State Library of Queensland by Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery, Tasmania

QLD

Queenslander Annual (6 Nov 1934)

Donated to State Library of Queensland by Gold Coast Local Studies Library

QLD

Sun News Pictorial (11 Dec 1927)

Donated to State Library of Queensland by Gold Coast Local Studies Library

QLD

Thargomindah Herald (pages from 14 Jan 1913; 13 Jan 1914; 12 Jan 1915)

 

QLD

Wide Bay and Burnett News (4 Feb 1893)

 

QLD

Douglas times and Douglas Shire visitors’ guide 12 Feb. 1986-Apr. 1986; first 8 issues

Donated by Douglas Shire Historical Society to SLQ

WA

Kanowna Democrat (1896)

 

NT

Army News (1941-1946)

Issues missing from Australian libraries’ collections were borrowed from the Australian War Memorial for microfilming

NT

Suburban (Oct. 1992-Jun. 1996)

 

NT

Suburban (Palmerston Ed.) Dec. 1995-Jun. 1996

 

NSW

Vema (Greek newspaper; 1971-1990)

 

NSW

Wagga Wagga progress weekly (Vol. 1, no. 7; May 22, 1969)

 

NSW

Sugar valley community news (Mar. 1992-Mar. 1996)

Borrowed for microfilming by the State Library of NSW (SLNSW)

NSW

Braidwood dispatch and mining journal (1858-1860)

Donated to the NLA

NSW

Armidale budget Vol. 3 No. 30; 5 June, 1897

Donated ; from University of New England Heritage Centre to SLNSW (microform version only)

NSW

Burrowa news and Marengo, Binalong, Murrumburrah and Cootamundra reporter; four miscellaneous issues from 1923-1951

From private donor to SLNSW

NSW

Moruya Examiner (1989) Aug. 18, 1993; Dec. 1, 1993; Dec. 7, 1994; Apr. 2, 1995; Dec. 19, 1997; Feb. 18, Mar. 18, 1998

Issues loaned to the SLNSW for microfilming

NSW

News leader 1984-1990

Issues donated by Shoal Haven City Council to the SLNSW

NSW

The Referee 1891-1895; 1901-1909

Purchased by SLNSW

NSW

Advocate (Coffs Harbour) (1991-1995 (Wed.& Sat.))

Donated to the SLNSW by the Coffs Harbour Regional Museum

NSW

District reporter Nov.( 2002-Dec. 2011)

Donated by the Publisher to the SLNSW

NSW

Gilgandra weekly & Castlereagh (prior to 1949)

Back issues prior to 1949 donated by the Editor/ General Manager of the Gilgandra Weekly newspaper, and part owner of Gilgandra Newspapers Pty Ltd, Mrs Marion Ferrier. Mrs Marion Ferrier Gilgandra Newspapers Pty Ltd

NSW

Southern star (Moruya, N.S.W.) (May 1970-July 1989)

Donated to SLNSW by Moruya and District Historical Society

NSW

Myall Coast nota (1997-1999)

Loaned to SSLNSW from the Tea garden Hawks Nest Family Research Group

NSW

Nota (Hawks Nest, N.S.W.) (1970-1996)

Loaned to SSLNSW from the Tea garden Hawks Nest Family Research Group

NSW

The Branxton advocate, Greta and Rothbury reporter (Mar. 4, 1916 (1 reel))

 

NSW

The Bega standard and Candelo, Merimbula, Pambula, Eden, Wolumla, and general advertiser (1883-1885)

Donated by Bega valley Shire Library

NSW

The Temora independent (Nov. 10, 1894)

Donated to SLNSW by anonymous donor

NSW

The Bay advocate. Batemans Bay, N.S.W.: South Coast & Southern Tablelands Magazine (Jan. 5, 1979-Mar. 26, 1982 (4 reels))

 

SA

Western Weekly News (April-Oct 1902)

Five issues and one part issue donated to the State Library of South Australia (SLSA)

SA

The Laura standard: and Beetaloo, Wirrabara, Melrose, Booleroo Centre and Yarowie advertiser Vol. 1, no.1; 11 April 1889; first issue, printed on silk as a gift to the newspaper's sponsors

Although this issue was already in the SLSA’s collection, this edition is a significant find as no other South Australian newspaper is known to have been produced in this manner. Donated by Rocky River Historic & Art Society to the SLSA

SA

Maitland Mail (20 December 1909)

Lent to SLSA for microfilming by National Trust

SA

SportsWoman SA (Issue 1, June 1992)

Although on the SLSA’s list of missing newspapers, when found, it was determined to be a periodical rather than a newspapers

SA

Weekly Dispatch (1856)

one issue - 24 May 1856

SA

Weekly Mail (1864)

one issue - 5 March 1864

SA

Adelaide Observer (1851)

Early country editions have been found for 14 June and 19 July 1851 - no other country editions held for this title

SA

Süd-Australische Zeitung (1864-5)

missing supplements have been found for 11 November 1864 and 10, 17 and 24 February 1865

SA

South Australian Chronicle and Weekly Mail (1875)

14 missing pages have been found for 2 January 1875