Bryce Courtenay Masterclass
Five-day Writing Workshop
Bryce Courtenay guides writers through an intensive five-day
writing workshop. Recommended for experienced writers.
Saturday - Wednesday, 12-16 May
10 am–4.30 pm
$2,200 (tuition only)
Enquiries and bookings:
02 9328 2023 (Mon–Wed) or
Spend a week at the National Library working on your manuscript with Australia’s top-selling novelist, Bryce Courtenay.
In this intensive writing workshop, Bryce will share his knowledge of the art and craft of storytelling and help you to look at your manuscript with fresh eyes. He will read your work and have a one-on-one discussion with you about your writing.
Writing a book is never easy - it takes guts, patience and a huge amount of self-discipline to succeed. Let Bryce and the National Library inspire you this autumn.
While Bryce will respond to the needs and interests of workshop participants, topics likely to be covered include:
- Creating a fictional character – Character is plot. What your characters say, do and know will determine the story. You will be shown how to build the major and minor characters in a story so that they appeal to and interest your reader.
- Narrative technique – Don’t tell me, show me. Learn how to sustain interest in your narrative.
- Writing dialogue – discover how to write convincing dialogue, that also informs the reader.
- Tension – learn how to keep the reader emotionally involved in your story.
- Maintaining continuity – prevent your story from going walk about and your characters from becoming lost.
- Place and subject – explore where to set the action and the subject you choose to write about.
- Research – learn the business of facts, history and place.
- Create a discipline and routine for writing – don’t wait for the Muse. Writing is about practise and routine.
- The fourth protagonist – discover what you should know about your reader.
- Preparing a manuscript for publication – learn the dos and don’ts of getting your story to the top of the slush pile.
- When: 14 May 2012
- Time: 09:30AM – 04:30PM
- Where: Conference Room (Fourth Floor (4))