Invitation to apply for Japan Study Grants
Applications for the 2013-2014 Japan Study Grant program are now closed.
The purpose of the grants is to support research by scholars based outside the Canberra area who wish to use the National Library's Japanese collections for their study. Applicants must be resident in Australia.
Dates for next Japan Study Grants
Application opens on July 1 2014 (for grants for 2014-2015)
Application closes on Sep 30 2014.
Results will be available by mid November 2014
Grants can be taken in the following year when successful.
Information for applicants and referees
Japan Study Grants are open to postgraduates, honours students, academic staff or independent researchers in Australia who wish to use the Japan-related collections of the National Library for their research.
Japan Study Grants are offered for periods of up to four weeks and support travel to Canberra and livings costs. Grants are not available to those living in the Australian Capital Territory or Queanbeyan.
Grant holders will receive an honorarium to cover accommodation and living costs in Canberra, together with a return economy class air fare for travel between the grant holder's home within Australia to Canberra. They will be provided with a desk in the Asian Collections reading room, access to the book stacks and free photocopying. After hours access to the reading room and book stacks can be arranged. Free interlibrary loans can also be arranged although grant holders are expected to use mainly the Library’s collections. International travel will not be funded.
Applicants must be resident in Australia (Australian citizenship is not mandatory).
Grant holders are required to:
- Take up the Study Grant by 30 September the following year
- Spend at least 75% of their time at the Library
- Write a short report on their research achievement and experience at the Library
The principal selection criteria are:
- Academic record of the applicant as shown in application
- Referee reports
Priority consideration will be given to candidates:
- who are based in centres where there are few or no library resources in the Japanese language
- who can demonstrate a need to use the Library's Japanese or Japan-related collections for their research.
- whose proposed study is best able to be supported by the National Library's Japanese and Japan-related collections
For further information, contact
Senior Librarian, Japanese Unit
National Library of Australia
Canberra ACT 2600
Tel: +61 2 6262 1615