Programs on offer
We have a range of engaging programs linked to Australian Curriculum content and capabilities. See School programs and guided tours for the full listing. Our programs are highly interactive and use inquiry-based learning methods.
How to Book
To get the best out of your visit, discuss your group’s needs and interests with the Bookings Officer on (02) 6262 1271 (Mon-Fri, 9am-12pm).
To confirm your booking we will require the following information:
- School/TAFE/university: Name of organisation, postal address and telephone number.
- Dates, time of day: Please nominate three dates, and times of day, in order of preference. We will do our utmost to ensure that your first preference is booked.
- Program required: Name of tour, presentation, or workshop required for the group (see School programs and guided tours).
- Subject/area of interest: Name of the course of study and subject areas of group visiting.
- Teacher/Lecturer: Name and title of a contact teacher/ lecturer, and an ‘on the day’ contact number.
- Student year level:
- Number of students: Please provide your best estimate for the number of participants in your desired program. Please note it is your responsibility to inform the Bookings Officer about changes in numbers of students a minimum of one week prior to your visit.
- Transport: Please specify how your group will arrive at the Library. If travelling by coach please provide the name and contact details of the coach company.
- Special Needs or Requirements: Please specify if any members of your group have special needs.
Once your group booking details are finalised we will send you an email booking confirmation within two working days.
Please contact the Bookings Officer to make any changes to your booking.
Library education programs cost $3 per student during business hours (see School programs and guided tours for more information).
Payments and invoices
We prefer groups to pay by invoice.
If paying on the day, please have exact cash or a cheque made payable to: Education, Community Programs, National Library of Australia. Payment by card is not possible. We are unable to provide a receipt for on the day payments.
You will receive an invoice within 5 working days of your visit for the total number of students listed on your final confirmation. If more students than are booked attend on the day you will be invoiced for the larger amount. Changes to student numbers must be received by email one week prior to the scheduled booking.
Schools will be invoiced for cancellations with less than 24 hours’ notice, or failure to attend without cancellation.
The National Library is located in the central Canberra suburb of Parkes in the Parliamentary Zone. More information on the Library's street address and parking details.
Please aim to arrive five minutes early for your program.
If possible leave student bags on the coach.
Check in at the Foyer Information Desk to notify your presenter of your arrival.
Wait with your group outside the Library’s front entrance to meet your presenter. Please do not wait in the Library Foyer. Your Library presenter will meet you at the front entrance.
Place bags or water bottles in storage trolleys or at the Cloakroom, located in the Library Foyer.
The Library has limited storage facilities for bags. No responsibility is taken by the Library for the loss of valuable items or bags.
As a courtesy to your presenter and Library patrons:
- Please turn mobile phones off or to silent in advance of your tour commencing, and during any time spent in the Reading Rooms and Gallery
- Photography is restricted in some parts of the Library. Please ask your presenter for details.
To help protect the national collection, please do not:
- Eat or drink during school tours and presentations
- Touch Library displays or equipment.
Toilets are located next to the Cloakroom on the Ground Floor and adjacent to the Theatre on Lower Ground One.
The Library has no internal spaces for students and teachers to eat morning tea or lunch. However, you are welcome to use the grounds around the Library or the limited outdoor shelters and BBQ facilities available at Reconciliation Place.
The Library has limited undercover areas for large groups of students. Parking is not undercover. In case of wet weather, please have an alternative location planned for meal breaks, and wet weather gear for staff and students.
Facilities for students with a disability are available. Facilities for visitors includes information on ramps and wheelchairs, as well as for users with a vision or hearing impairment.
Please contact the Bookings Officer if you have any queries.
Teacher / Group Coordinator Responsibilities
Student behaviour, safety and security are the teachers’ responsibility. Groups must be supervised and accompanied by a teacher or responsible adult at all times.