Anyone is welcome to subscribe to Libraries Australia. Complete the 3 (or 4 if applicable) simple steps below to do so.
Step 1. Determine your subscription fee:
- Public libraries should confirm the subscription fee they are required to pay with their State or Territory consortium. See fees & charges for public libraries for more information.
- All other organisations should contact us to obtain a quote (see our fees & charges as a guide).
- People wishing to subscribe individually should see our fee for individuals.
Step 2. Apply for a NUC (National Union Catalogue) symbol (only for libraries & other organisations that do NOT already have one):
- To enable your library to add holdings to Libraries Australia or to use Libraries Australia Document Delivery (LADD) you will need a NUC symbol. NUC symbols uniquely identify Australian libraries and other organisations which contribute holdings to our national union catalogue (i.e. the Australian National Bibliographic Database) via Libraries Australia or participate in formal interlibrary lending networks.The Australian Interlibrary Resource Sharing (ILRS) directory is the directory of Australian NUC symbols. To apply for a NUC symbol, fill out and submit the new entry request form on the ILRS Directory website.
Step 3. Complete the relevant User Registration form:
Step 4. Print, sign and send us (i.e. by post or fax) the relevant User Agreement:
- Libraries and other organisations (pdf 183 KB)
- Individuals (pdf 361 KB)
- Library Schools (pdf 403 KB) (i.e. for tertiary institutions that teach library studies)
- Vendors providing services to libraries (pdf, 158 KB)
Note:If you cannot download or read PDF, please contact the Help Desk and a User Agreement will be sent to you.
The date of effect will be added when the copies are received by Libraries Australia. One copy will be returned to you for your records.
Once we receive both the User Registration and signed User Agreement your membership details will be sent out to you within 5 working days and you can start using our services.
Please contact the Help Desk at any time during this process should you require assistance.
There are a number of things that new members should do to get the most out of their subscriptions.
Subscribe to our discussion list/s
We have 2 email discussion lists – a general Libraries Australia list and a specific list relating to our document delivery service. Both lists are used to inform members of system upgrades and scheduled outages, upcoming training, User Group meetings and other events, and any other matters relating to Libraries Australia.
All members are encouraged to subscribe.
It is highly recommended that new members complete Libraries Australia training. It is essential that someone in your organisation complete the Libraries Australia Document Delivery and Cataloguing Client training before using these services.
Please see our training section for course and trainer information.
Enhance your membership
- would like Customer Administrator access so that you can manage your own subscription (e.g. edit your own contact details, create and edit user accounts). Please inform us of the account (i.e. username) you want this access set up on.
- wish to add enhanced requesting, alerts or personalisation to your existing account. Please inform us of the account (i.e. username) you want these services added to.
- want to use our Document Delivery service (training must be completed first).