MARC 21 Concise Bibliographic: Subject Access Fields (6XX)
Fields 600-65X (with the exception of field 653 that is used for uncontrolled index terms) contain subject headings or access terms that provide additional access to a bibliographic record through a heading or term that is constructed according to established subject cataloging or thesaurus-building principles and guidelines. The standard list or authority file used is identified by the value in the second indicator position or by the MARC source code contained in subfield $2 that is used in conjunction with value 7.
The arabic number that precedes a subject access field in some displays is not carried in the MARC record. It may be generated based on the field tag. The dash ( -- ) that precedes a general subject subdivision is not carried in the MARC record; it may be generated based on the presence of subfields, $v, $x, $y, and $z.
A name portion containing open-ended date ends with a space when it is followed by other data in the same subfield; it does not end with a space when it is followed by another subfield.
- 600 - SUBJECT ADDED ENTRY--PERSONAL NAME (R)
- 610 - SUBJECT ADDED ENTRY--CORPORATE NAME (R)
- 611 - SUBJECT ADDED ENTRY--MEETING NAME (R)
- 630 - SUBJECT ADDED ENTRY--UNIFORM TITLE (R)
- 648 - SUBJECT ADDED ENTRY--CHRONOLOGICAL TERM (R)
- 650 - SUBJECT ADDED ENTRY--TOPICAL TERM (R)
- 651 - SUBJECT ADDED ENTRY--GEOGRAPHIC NAME (R)
- 653 - INDEX TERM--UNCONTROLLED (R)
- 654 - SUBJECT ADDED ENTRY--FACETED TOPICAL TERMS (R)
- 655 - INDEX TERM--GENRE/FORM (R)
- 656 - INDEX TERM--OCCUPATION (R)
- 657 - INDEX TERM--FUNCTION (R)
- 658 - INDEX TERM--CURRICULUM OBJECTIVE (R)
Information for Translators and Other Users
Items highlighted in red indicate changes made after the 2003 edition of the MARC 21 Concise Formats was published and are included in the 2004 printed edition of the MARC 21 Concise Formats.