To search this FAQ, press ctrl + f and type in a search term. (or cmd + f in Safari)
- Why can’t I login to LA Search?
- I do not know/have forgotten my username and/or password. What should I do?
- LA Search responding slowly. How can I improve its response time?
- What databases are available for searching through Libraries Australia?
- What is Personalisation?
- What is Enhanced Reqesting?
- How do I know if I have access to Enhanced Requesting?
1. Why can’t I login to LA Search?
There are a few reasons why you may not be able to access your account:
- Do you have the correct URL i.e. http://librariesaustralia.nla.gov.au/?
- Do you have the correct login? Is CAPS LOCK on (logins are case-sensitive)?
- Have you cleared the cache in your browser?
- Are you able to access other internet sites outside your library e.g. http://www.google.com.au/?
2. I do not know/have forgotten my username and/or password. What should I do?
Contact the Help Desk – include the name of your organisation, NUC symbol, your Libraries Australia organisation number (if known) and email address. For security reasons, usernames and passwords are not given out over the phone.
3. LA Search is responding slowly. How can I improve its response time?
Please refer to our guide Improving slow response time which provides an explanation of where and how problems affecting Libraries Australia response times can occur, tools for diagnosing and suggestions for fixing them.
4. What databases are available for searching through Libraries Australia?
5. What is Personalisation?
Most users access Libraries Australia via a ‘shared account’ which means that settings apply to everyone using that account. Personalisation enables users, whether end users or library staff, to create a ‘personal account’ within the shared account.
Personal accounts allow you to:
- choose your own login and password
- save records and queries
In a nutshell, Enhanced Requesting allows users to submit ILL requests directly from LA Search.
Libraries Australia provides a number of options for users to get items via in LA Search. When this button is selected, the user is presented with 4 tabs:
With Enhanced Requesting activated on your Libraries Australia account, users (i.e. end users and library staff) can request loans/copies of items via the At other libraries tab by simply completing an online form.
Enhanced Requesting is turned off by default. If Enhanced Requesting is activated on your Libraries Australia account, you will see 2 extra links on the At other libraries tab – Request a loan through your library and Request a photocopy through your library – when you select in LA Search.