Appointed 11 April 2013 for a three-year term until 10 April 2016
Dr Gruen holds a PhD and BA Hons (First Class) from the ANU and a LLB Hons from Melbourne University. He is CEO of Lateral Economics.
Dr Gruen has worked in a diverse range of public policy and other roles since 1981:
- He was economic policy adviser to two Federal Government Ministers – Treasurer John Dawkins (1990-1994) and Industry Minister John Button (1981-1985).
- He was appointed to the Productivity Commission (1993-1997) where he was Presiding Commissioner of one inquiry and an industry study commissioned by the ACCC and Associate Commissioner on five inquiries.
- He was Director of the Business Council of Australia’s New Directions economic reform project (1997-2000).
- In 2008 he was a member of the Cutler Review into the Australian Innovation System.
- In 2009 he was Chairman of the Federal Government’s Government 2.0 Taskforce.
- From 2010 to 2011 he was founding Chairman of Kaggle.
- From 2000 he has been CEO of Lateral Economics and Peach Financial Group
- He is also Chairman of Online Opinion and The Australian Centre for Social Innovation.