Meeting 1 March 2004, ALIA House
The Australian Committee on Cataloguing met at ALIA House, Deakin, ACT
for a one-day meeting on 1 March 2004.
Present: Ebe Kartus (ALIA: Chair), Ann Huthwaite (ALIA), Helen Hoffmann (ALIA), Deirdre Kiorgaard (NLA), Julie Whiting (NLA), Rob Walls (NLA)
Apologies: Anne Robertson
Minutes: Susan Newbery and Leanne McKinnon
Feedback from the FRBR seminar has been very positive, and it was agreed to aim for one seminar each year. ACOC discussed a suggestion by Ebe Kartus to put together the FRBR papers for an article for the JISC. Deirdre Kiorgaard and Julie Whiting offered to discuss the idea of a PANDORA article for JISC. Articles for JISC will be discussed further by email.
The next ACOC seminar would be adjacent to the Information Online Conference in Sydney in February 2005, and the topic might be metadata and how it relates to traditional cataloguing.
ACOC Communication Strategy and ACOC website
ACOC discussed ideas for the website and for communication strategies, including: possibly merging CATLIBS and ALIA catlibs to one list and linking to it from ACOC website; developing an FAQ list; developing an ACOC logo; and developing a second line of experts behind ACOC that could be drawn upon to feed into JSC work. Rob Walls undertook to draft a Communication strategy, and Julie Whiting will prepare a mock-up of the improved website.
Helen Hoffman indicated that she would not be standing again when her term expired. Ebe thanked Helen for her hard work during her years with ACOC. Ann Huthwaite commented that she hoped to remain on ACOC for a further 12 months. The meeting agreed that it was preferable to have staggered membership changes.
Future ACOC meetings
It was decided to have a face-to-face ACOC meeting once a year, preferably in July or August with enough time to finalise papers for the September JSC meeting.
The next JSC meeting is to be held in Ottawa, Canada in April.
Australian member for the FVWG
Ebe Kartus reported that Simon Pockley (formerly with ACMI) was agreeable to the idea of being part of the FVWG. The Committee noted that the Working Group had been working together for some time now and that its papers were progressing well