Community grants help to save nation’s heritage
13 November 2007
Community groups across the country will have a greater capacity to preserve Australia’s heritage following the announcement of the 2007 Community Heritage Grants.
The successful and popular program is setting records this year, both in value and number of recipients. Grants worth $428 300 are going to 85 community groups and organisations in 2007.
The groups include museums, libraries, archives, historical societies, art galleries, migrant, Indigenous and religious organisations. Each will receive funds to assist in the identification and preservation of community owned but nationally significant heritage collections.
In addition, recipients attend a three-day intensive preservation and collection management workshop held at the National Library, the National Archives of Australia, the National Museum of Australia and the National Film and Sound Archive in Canberra.
National Library Director-General Jan Fullerton said the program, which began in 1994, had surpassed expectations. “It has been taken up by groups throughout Australia, ensuring the longevity of nationally significant collections and that the collections stay in the community where they belong.
“The diversity of the collections chronicle our Australian lives – past and present – including transport, sport, music and the arts, military, science, industry, Indigenous, education, crafts, migration and religion. They also reflect geographic diversity with collection locations ranging from our capital cities to tiny, isolated villages.
“Over the years hundreds of people involved in nationally significant collections throughout Australia have been given the opportunity to come to Canberra, enhance their skills through the expertise of the national institutions, and to then take their new knowledge back to their community to ensure the collections are preserved and managed while remaining in a meaningful context.”
The grant money is used for significance assessments, preservation needs assessments, conservation treatments, training workshops, digitisation, and purchasing archival-quality storage materials or collection management software.
The Community Heritage Grants Program is managed by the National Library of Australia. It is funded by the Australian Government through the Department of Communications, Information Technology and the Arts, the National Archives of Australia, the National Film and Sound Archive, the National Museum of Australia and the National Library.
Australian Capital Territory
Craft Australia received $10,000 for digitalisation of their slide collection and archival storage. Craft Australia is the national industry body for professional contemporary craft design. The collection includes Australian and international specialist craft subject matter from books, journals, catalogues and other papers and a slide collection based on professional Australian artists’ work, as well as craft-based film, video and other text material.
New South Wales
Albury Regional Museum received $4,400 for significance assessment of the Bonnegilla Collection. Over 300 000 non-English speaking migrants spent some time at Bonnegilla Reception and Training Centre between 1947 and 1971, and the collection of photographs, documents and other records is of great significance to the study of post-war migration.
A.M. Rosenblum Jewish Museum, Great Synagogue, Sydney received $1,500 for collection-management software purchase. The Museum conserves, stores, catalogues and displays the substantial collection of ritual and historical items owned by the Great Synagogue, the oldest continuing Jewish congregation in Australia.
Australian Country Music Foundation Inc. (ACMF) received $6,100 for preservation needs assessment of the Foundation’s collection and preservation training. The Collection includes books, magazines, personal papers, original manuscripts, photographs and publicity materials, costumes and accessories, audiovisual and sound recordings. The ACMF provides a permanent country music archive and resource centre in Tamworth and has received a grant in the past.
Bega Valley Genealogy Society Inc. received $715 for archival storage materials to rehouse more of the Kameruka Estate paper collections. The Kameruka estate papers give a full record of all aspects of the farming property from the 1860s to the 1960s. The Society has previously received a grant.
Braidwood and District Historical Society Inc. received $3,700 for significance assessment of the Museum collection, which contains historical artefacts relevant to the local area, including items from the goldfields, a collection of Chinese artefacts and many newspapers, photographs and family history documents dating back to the 1840s.
Broken Hill Trades Hall Trust received $6,000 for conservation treatment of the Trades Hall Lock-Out collection, which comprises letters, picket maps, flags and documents. The 1909 miners’ lockout marked the beginning of the organisation of Broken Hill workers. The Trades Hall Trust was created in 1898 when the building was opened
Capertee Public School received $1,800 for training in collection care and management for staff and volunteers from 5 schools—Capertee Public School, Denison College, Portland Central School, Carenne and Wattle Flat Schools. Each school holds archives dating back to its establishment, and has provided public education for up to 125 years.
Concord Heritage Society Inc. received $1,200 for training of volunteers in significance assessment. The Society operates a social history museum containing over 1000 objects displaying life in Concord and Canada Bay, from the 1830s to the 1970s .
Dutch Australian Cultural Centre Ltd received $3,850 for significance assessment of the Dutch Australian Cultural Centre. The Centre houses a collection of archives and memorabilia relevant to Dutch immigration to Australia and has previously received a grant.
Hellenic Historical & Cultural Centre (NSW) received $3,200 for significance assessment of the Hellenic Historical and Cultural Centre Collection, which will focus on the ecclesiastic, costume and shadow puppet collections. The Hellenic historical and Cultural Centre provides a resource for all Australian Greek communities.
Lake Macquarie City Library received $4,000 for significance assessment of the Lake Macquarie City Library Coal and Power Collection. The Collection consists of a wide range of plans and diagrams relating to coal mining and electricity generation in the region. The mining collection contains approximately 6800 documents and the power station collection contains approximately 5000.
Lockhart & District Historical Society received $4,000 for significance assessment of the Brookong Collection. Brookong Station was settled in the 1840s and the Collection includes original photographs, documents and metrological records, and material concerning the 1888 Shearers’ Strike.
Liverpool City Library & City of Liverpool & District Historical Society received $8,000 for significance assessment of the Historical Society’s collection and a training workshop. The Society has a very large archival and photographic collection, housed in its own Archival Room at the Liverpool City Library and actively collects historically significant material. The City Library’s Heritage Library collects, conserves and makes accessible a comprehensive collection for the City.
Metro Screen Ltd received $3,500 for preservation needs assessment of the Metro Screen archives, consisting of over 3000 community-made videos on a variety of formats. Metro Screen is a non-profit community group servicing the needs of emerging filmmakers and digital media artists by providing access to training and production resources to the broader community.
Mid North Coast Maritime Museum Association Inc. received $8,140 for significance assessment of the Mid North Coast Maritime Museum collection, and for training of volunteers. The Museum’s collections and displays relate the history of Port Macquarie, the third oldest British settlement on mainland Australia. The Museum Association was founded in 1987 to protect the Pilot Boat Shed, and the Museum was established in the Pilot Cottages in 1991.
The National Art School (NAS) received $13,100 for significance assessment and preservation survey of the National Art School and Darlinghurst Gaol Collection and Archive, and for rehousing some of the collection in archival storage. The NAS collection includes artworks representing the history and progress of the School and an archive of photographs and associated material. The Darlinghurst Gaol collection includes original documents, photographs and slides of the gaol period and maps and plans of the site from 1863 to 1900. The gaol dates from1822 and is of great significance in Australian history. The National Art School is the oldest in Australia, dating back to the 1840s and has been located at the Old Darlinghurst Gaol since 1922.
New England Regional Art Museum received $6,000 for preservation needs assessment of the Museum’s collection of Indigenous art, and for a training workshop. This collection of bark paintings, didgeridoos, hollow logs and sculptures covers a wide geographical area and varying styles of carving and painting. The Art Museum has a wide collection of Australian art and received a CHG in 2005 for temperature and humidity recording.
New Italy Museum Inc. received $4,000 for collection-management software and documentation of the collection of historical artefacts, photographs and documents relating to the voyage, settlement and integration of Italian families who settled at New Italy in 1881. The Museum is at Goonellabah, Lismore, and has previously received a grant.
Norfolk Island Museum received $7,150 for preservation needs assessment of the Norfolk Island Collection, consisting of photographs, books, manuscripts, maps and plans, audiovisual material and artefacts relating to the social history of Norfolk Island. Some of the items are unique, especially those relating to convict incarceration, the resettlement of the Bounty mutineers on Norfolk Island and their language, Pitcairn industries and pre-European Polynesian settlement. The Museum also houses over 1200 items relating to the 1790 Sirius shipwreck, and a wide-ranging archaeological collection.
Parramatta & District Historical Society Inc. received a grant of $5,500 for preservation needs assessment of the Hambledon Cottage collection, and for a training workshop. The collection contains about 50 000 photographs, slides, maps and pictures relating to Parramatta. The Cottage also contains an important collection of colonial furniture, artefacts and pictures.
Randwick City Library and Information Service and Randwick & District Historical Society Inc. received $8,200 for preservation needs assessment of both the Randwick City Library and Information Service, and Randwick & District Historical Society Inc. collections, and for a training workshop. The City Library local history collection includes books and newspapers relating to the historical and contemporary life of the City of Randwick, and original photographs and city and community archives. The Historical Society archive contains photographs, documents, oral history tapes and objects linked to Randwick. The City Library and Information Service is one of the largest in metropolitan Sydney. The Historical Society Inc. collects, promotes and preserves the history of Randwick.
Richmond River Historical Society Inc. received $4,950 for significance assessment of the Society’s collection, which covers the Richmond River valley and the area between the Clarence and Tweed valleys, and includes material from Indigenous history and mid-nineteenth century European settlement. The Society is housed in the Lismore Municipal Building and has received a grant before.
Royal Australian Artillery Historical Company received $3,500 for significance assessment of the collection, housed in the Royal Australian Artillery Museum, North Head (Sydney). Containing important items relating to the military heritage of Australia and the former colonial forces, the collection includes uniforms, photographs, maps and charts, flags and artillery equipment and guns.
St Andrew’s Ukrainian Catholic Parish (Archives Committee) received $3,500 for significance assessment of the St Andrew’s Ukrainian Catholic Parish Archives, containing records, papers, photographs and vestments relevant to the history of the Ukrainian Catholic Church in Australia. St Andrew’s Ukrainian Catholic Church was established in Lidcombe (NSW) in 1961, to cater for the spiritual and cultural needs of members of the Church.
St John’s College, University of Sydney received $3,800 for preservation needs assessment of the College archive, which records the 150-year-old history of the College, its rectors, council and management. The College was incorporated in 1857 and was the first Roman Catholic residential University College in the Western world.
Uralla Historical Society Inc. received $4,400 for significance assessment of the McCrossin’s Mill Chinese Collection, containing objects relating to the history of the Chinese on the Rocky River goldfields in the 1850s. Many items are of rare cultural and religious significance, including joss house relics.
Woollahra Library & Information Service received $1,900 for preservation needs assessment of the Woollahra map collection, containing about 200 maps and plans relating to the Woollahra and Vaucluse municipalities, and dating from the 1880s to the 1970s.
Central Australian Aboriginal Media Association (CAAMA) received $10,000 for digitisation of video tapes of Indigenous language and culture. Among many other important matters, the tapes document remote Aboriginal communities’ beliefs, culture and dance and dreamtime stories, sacred sites, corroborees, languages and ways of life. CAAMA was established in 1980 to promote Aboriginal culture, language, dance and music, and has received a grant previously.
Northern Territory Library received $9,200 for significance assessment and preservation needs assessment of the Northern Territory Library photographic collection, providing a pictorial record of the geographical, historical and social development of life in the Northern Territory. The Library is the major public reference and research library in the Territory.
Burnett War Memorial Museum Association Inc. received $3,500 for significance assessment of a collection of weapons, including items from the Boer War and World Wars I and II. Kingaroy Airfield and the South Burnett were major training-base areas for both Australian and US airman prior to combat in New Guinea and the Pacific.
Centre for Multicultural Pastoral Care received $760 for archival storage materials to rehouse the Queensland Catholic Migrant Archive. The Archive holds details of post-war immigration and migration through the Catholic Church in Queensland and has received a grant in the past.
Friends of John Flynn Place Inc. and Cloncurry Shire Council received $5,500 for preservation needs assessment of the collection relating to the Australian Inland Mission and John Flynn, founder of the Australian Inland Mission and its offshoot, the Royal Flying Doctor Service. The collection contains many items connected to Rev. Dr Flynn and the Service, including the first pedal radio installed in Australia.
Gold Coast City Art Gallery received $10,000 for conservation of artworks. As well as material significant to the local region and the wider Australian scene, the Gallery is developing a collection of ephemera related to the Gold Coast.
Highfields Pioneer Village, Museum and Park Inc. received $6,050 for collection-management software and archival storage materials to rehouse the Toowoomba Foundry Collection. The collection contains Southern Cross engines and artefacts, together with trade catalogues, sales brochures and photos showing the development of the well-known Queensland brand from waffle irons and windmills to centrifugal pumps and engines.
Juandah Heritage Society Inc. received $3,100 for collection-management software purchase, and for training in its use. The Society aims to preserve the local history of Wandoan, including Juandah, site of early European settlement.
Kowanyama Aboriginal Shire Council received $5,000 for significance assessment of Aboriginal material culture collection at Kowanyama, including traditional artefacts, photographs, archival documents, cassettes, discs and films. The 2007 Young Australian of the Year, Tania Major, is from Kowanyama.
National Trust of QLD—Atherton Chinatown & Charters Towers Museum received $10,000 for significance assessment and preservation needs assessment of the National Trust of Queensland’s Chinese artefacts at Atherton Chinatown and Charters Towers Museum. The collection contains temple goods, agricultural and domestic tools relevant to early Chinese migration to Australia, as well as a collection of photographs and documents from 1903 to the present day.
Toowoomba Grammar School Old Boys’ Association received $11,000 to rehouse the Toowoomba Grammar School Archive Collection, and for a training workshop. The Archive documents the Grammar School’s history since its foundation in 1875, and has previously received a grant.
Yeppoon RSL Military Museum received $2,970 for collection-management software purchase, and equipment. The Museum houses firearms, uniforms, badges and campaign medals, together with maps, letters and postcards, service documents and other items relevant to the Capricorn Coast’s contribution to Australian history, and has previously received a grant.
History Trust of South Australia, Community History Unit received $7,000 for training in disaster preparedness and response workshops. The Unit assists SA’s many regional, local and specialist museums to manage and care for their collections, and the grant is towards workshops in mid-north South Australia and the Yorke Peninsula. The History Trust of South Australia promotes the value, understanding and enjoyment of the State’s history.
City of Playford received $3,500 for preservation needs assessment of the City of Playford Photographic Collection. This contains over 15 000 photographs documenting the history of the City of Elizabeth and the City of Munno Para, amalgamated in 1997 to form the City of Playford. Elizabeth was, apart from Canberra, the first large town in the 20th century to be planned and built on open country.
Lobethal Heritage Association Inc. received $14,850 for archival storage materials to rehouse the Onkaparinga Woollen Mills collection. This includes archives, photographs, machinery, swatches, dye records, and many artefacts associated with wool weaving, and the grant will help rehouse paper records, photographs and samples of dyed fabrics and material swatches. The Association has previously received a grant.
Mannum Dock Museum of River History received $3,800 for significance assessment of the Mannum Dock Museum of River History Collection, consisting of buildings, boats, engines and boat-building artefacts, photographs and documents, and other items concerned with the development of navigation on the Murray–Darling river system. It includes the 110-year-old Paddle Steamer Marion, the last steam-driven, wood-fired, overnight passenger-carrying, side-paddle steamer still operating in the world.
National Trust of South Australia, Goolwa Museum, received $3,400 for archival storage materials for the archive collection of documents, photographs and other items relevant to the development of shipping in the Murray–Darling river system. Goolwa Museum was established to collect, preserve and interpret records of the district, and a grant has been made to the Museum in the past.
National Trust of South Australia, Tea Tree Gully Branch, received $3,500 for significance assessment of the Old Highercombe Hotel Museum’s collection. Donated by local pioneering families, the collection includes many items related to the domestic and agricultural lives of people in the area from the 1850s to the 1950s. The Museum was built in 1854 as a hotel in the Adelaide foothills, and was also used as a post and telegraph office for over 80 years.
Performing Arts Collection of South Australia, Adelaide Festival Centre received $3,500 for preservation needs assessment of the Fewster and King music theatre archives, 1918–1932. The archive includes handwritten scores, manuscripts, sheet music, correspondence, photographs and films. Jack Fewster and Tom King formed Australia’s first musical theatre song-writing duo, and made a major contribution to the development of the Australian music industry.
South Australian Police Historical Society Inc. received $3,850 for significance assessment of the collection, which contains about 69 000 records and over 21 000 photographs concerning the spread of policing throughout South Australia and the Northern Territory. The South Australian Police Force is the oldest centrally controlled, state-wide police force in Australia.
West Torrens Historical Society received $3,850 for significance assessment of the collection, consisting of original documents, photographs, maps, plans and audiotapes relating to the history of the district. It also contains records of pioneer families and of the changes from rural to residential life in the area.
Furneaux Historical Research Association received $3,630 for archival storage and display materials for their maritime collection, which contains items from shipwrecks, including the Sydney Cove in 1797, the explorations of Bass and Flinders, sealing, and development of the Furneaux Islands in Bass Strait. The Association has previously received a grant.
Glamorgan Spring Bay Council received $11,000 for documentation of the Glamorgan War Memorial Museum collection by a consultant curator, and for a significance assessment. The collection contains many items, including paintings, books, photographs and drawings, whaling, convicts’ artefacts, and militaria, giving a picture of local settlement from the 1820s
Glenorchy City Council, Heritage Programme received $3,500 for preservation needs assessment of the Glenorchy City Council Heritage Collections, including artworks and sculpture, photographs and aerial images, engineering maps and plans, films and projection equipment and many other items dating back to Glenorchy’s foundation in 1808. The Heritage Collection has previously received a grant.
Hutchins School received $3,500 for significance assessment of part of the Hutchins Archive and Heritage Collection, including school publications and records, photographs, manuscripts and documents, oral records and memorabilia providing a picture of boys’ education over 160 years.
Kentish Council received $3,800 for significance assessment of the Kentish Museum collection and buildings. The collection contains photographs, archives and artefacts, as well as a Boer War field gun, an early telephone and an early petrol pump, and is housed in the former Sheffield Post Office, built in 1891.
Launceston Tramway Museum Society Inc. received $6,700 for significance assessment of the Launceston Tramway Museum collection, and for a training workshop. The collection contains trams, buildings, plans, photographs and archival material, uniforms and artefacts relating to the Tramway, which closed in 1952.
Levendale and Woodsdale History Rooms Inc. received $4,620 for a disaster prevention and recovery workshop for three small museums and historical societies in remote parts of Tasmania—the Levendale and Woodsdale History Rooms, the Glamorgan–Spring Bay Historical Society, and the Oatlands Historical Society—to enable them to ensure the safety of valuable artefacts and records.
Ogilvie High School received $3,500 for significance assessment of the Ogilvie High School archive, including photographs, personal records, artefacts and memorabilia reflecting the changing nature of education over 70 years. Ogilvie High School is the largest in the state and the only girls-only comprehensive.
St Helens History and Visitor Information Centre received $1,500 for training in preservation of textiles and restoration of metal and wood artefacts. The Centre contains a wide collection of archives and artefacts relating to the early pioneers, gold mining and Chinese settlements, shipping, agriculture and domestic life.
Ararat and District Historical Society received $2,750 for archival storage materials to rehouse the Museum’s collection. This includes paintings, photographs and documents, horse-drawn vehicles, agricultural and printing machinery, domestic items and clothing, and items connected with goldmining in the Ararat district. The Society has previously received a grant.
Australian Multicultural Foundation received $3,500 for significance assessment of the Sir James Gobbo Australian Multicultural Foundation Library, including reports, publications manuscripts, photographs, audio and visual tapes and other documents recording the Foundation’s contribution to the enhancement of Australia’s multicultural society.
Ballarat Mechanics’ Institute received $4,500 for preservation needs assessment of the collection which contains over 16 000 books, archives, journals and newspapers acquired since the Institute’s foundation in 1859. The collection relates particularly to the goldmining period and reflects the interests of the time, and has previously received a grant.
Benalla & District Historical Society received $3,300 for archival storage and equipment for the preservation of books, newspapers and audiovisual tapes and archives, including the Benalla Standard 1920–1950, and the extract of birth of Sir Edward ‘Weary’ Dunlop, who was born in Benalla. A grant has previously been made to the Society.
Brambuck Aboriginal Cultural Centre received $4,500 for significance assessment of the Brambuck Aboriginal Cultural Centre’s collection, which contains many artefacts, ranging from traditional stone tools and weapons, to contemporary and architectural plans, as well as photographs, artwork and media. The Centre is located near Hall’s Gap, in the Grampians National Park.
Broadford & District Historical Society received $3,850 for significance assessment of the collection, including historic buildings, wagons and carriages, photographs, maps, documents and artefacts relating to the history of the area, first developed in the 1850s.
Brotherhood of St Lawrence received $3,500 for significance assessment and preservation survey of the Brotherhood’s archive, which contains reports, publications, photographs, audiovisual materials and memorabilia dating from the Brotherhood’s founding in 1930.
Golden Dragon Museum received $2,400 for a textile conservation workshop which will instruct volunteers and staff in the handling, storage and display of costumes and textiles. The Museum contains a collection of processional dragons and textiles, as well as many other items related to the history of the Chinese on the Bendigo Goldfields. It has previously received a grant.
La Mama Inc. received $3,500 for significance assessment of the collection. This includes posters, prints, flyers, photographs and audiovisual materials which record the development of Australian theatre and artists. The La Mama Theatre was formed in Carlton in 1967 for the creation of Australian and experimental works.
Murtoa & District Historical Society & Community Museum Inc. received $1,485 for collection-management software purchase. Murtoa was one of the first important German settlements in Australia, and the Museum contains photographs, documents, artefacts and memorabilia from the early 1880s to the present day.
Museum of Chinese History Inc. received $6,000 for archival storage, and equipment, for the Museum’s collection, which contains clothing and textiles, photographs, documents, tools, domestic items and ceremonial and religious objects reflecting the life of the Chinese community since the 1850s. Located in Melbourne, the Museum has previously received a grant.
Museum of Lillydale, Shire of Yarra Ranges received $3,500 for significance assessment of the Dame Nellie Melba collection, which contains about 1000 items relating to her personal and professional life. These include letters, documents, programs, sheet music, photographs, recordings, objects and artwork. Dame Nellie lived locally, and is buried in Lillydale Cemetery.
Old Gippstown—Gippsland Heritage Park received $3,500 for preservation needs assessment of the Narracan Mechanics Institute Library collection, containing over 3000 books on a variety of subjects. The collection ranges from the late 19th century to the 1930s, and shows the wide-ranging interests of the community and the information and technology available at the time.
Sovereign Hill Museums Association & Ballarat Historical Society Inc. received $4,000 for preservation needs assessment of the Ballarat Historical Society collection, containing an important collection of 6500 photographs and a very large number of historical documents, directories, books, diaries, scrapbooks, albums, manuscripts and books. The collection relates to the history of Ballarat and the 19th century gold rushes, and has previously received a grant.
Talbot Arts & Historical Society Inc. received $2,860 for collection-management software purchase. The collection contains photographs of people, places and events, books and documents, goldmining artefacts, Masonic items, family histories, and many other items relating to the history and everyday life of the area, including the 1850s goldrush.
Ukrainian Catholic Eparchy, Sts Peter & Paul received $3,850 for significance assessment of the church archive. Located in North Melbourne, the collection contains over 8000 items, including clothing, religious items, wood carvings and embroideries, documents and photographs, artwork and ceramics and other cultural items of importance to the history of Ukrainian settlement in Australia since 1949.
Upper Murray Historical Society Inc. received $6,820 for preservation needs assessment, and a collection-management training workshop, for the Man from Snowy River Collection. This contains historic buildings, domestic and working items, documents, photographs and an unusual collection of snow skiing equipment, including a pram on skis. The Museum is located in the Old Shire Hall, Corryong, and has previously received a grant.
Victorian Jazz Archive Inc. received $6,400 for significance assessment and preservation training workshops for the Archive. Containing over 10 000 items relating to the history of Australian jazz, the archive includes records, tapes, CDs, DVDs, videos, photographs, posters, flyers, books, printed material and ephemera, with an international collection and an extensive collection of musical instruments. Located at Wantirna, a grant has been made to the Archive in the past.
Archives of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Perth received $1,500 for archival storage materials to rehouse the architectural plans of St Mary’s Cathedral. Only partially completed in 1930 because of the Depression, conservation and completion of the Cathedral is now under way. The architect, M.F. Cavanagh, designed many other church and commercial buildings in Australia.
Benedictine Community of New Norcia Inc. received $3,000 to rehouse the New Norcia music archive. This contains the largest group of manuscripts by Dom Stephen Moreno OSB, Australia’s most significant composer of early 20th century church music. The archive includes manuscript copies of 17th and 18th century orchestral and choral works performed at New Norcia, formed in 1846, as a mission to the local Aboriginals and a monastic community. The Mission closed in 1974 and has previously received a grant.
Catholic Diocese of Broome received $6,500 for a preservation needs assessment of the historic Diocesan archive, and for a preservation training workshop, with particular emphasis on the Baptism and Marriage Registers, the only record of many Indigenous births and marriages in the Kimberley before 1987. The Diocese of Broome covers all of the Kimberley Region.
City of Gosnells received $5,000 for preservation needs assessment of the Gosnells museum, archive and local studies collections, which provide physical and documentary evidence of the development of the area from the 1820s. They include objects, photographs and scanned images, school and church histories, and other documents, oral histories and public records.
Leonora Gwalia Historical Museum Ltd received $10,000 for archival storage materials for rehousing, and for fire protection and surveillance equipment. The archive and photographic collection are of great importance to the history of the Gwalia and Leonora region. The Museum received Community Heritage Grants for significance and preservation assessment in 2004 and 2006. The Museum was established on the site of the Sons of Gwalia Mine. Herbert Hoover (later 31st President of the U.S) was superintendent of the mine in 1898.
Manjimup Historical Society Inc. received $4,400 for significance assessment of the collection, which contains documents, photographs and artefacts about the history of the Manjimup area. Manjimup was the centre of the West Australian tobacco industry from the 1920s to 1962, and the collection includes many photos and items from the industry.
Perth Diocesan Trustees, Anglican Church of Australia received $7,300 for significance assessment and preservation needs assessment of the Diocesan Archives: specifically important records that have recently come to light after being stored for years in the basement and storage areas of the Archives. These include rare parchment documents dating back to the 1850s. The entire collection includes unique correspondence, photographs and memorabilia relevant to the history of the Anglican Church in WA since 1829, and has previously received a grant.
Royal Perth Yacht Club of Western Australia received $3,400 for preservation needs assessment of the Royal Perth Yacht Club Archive, including minute books, letters, sailing memorabilia, digitised records, photographs, oral history tapes, maps and charts, newspapers and diaries, paintings and flags, pennants and burgees. The Yacht Club is the third oldest in Australia and was formally established in 1865.
Western Desert Lands Aboriginal Corporation received $14,800 for preservation and digitisation of the Martu Map, which locates over 300 Martu totemic sites. Created in 1987 by Martu elders to establish ownership of the area, it was a key document in their successful land title claim. The title includes large tracts of the Great Sandy, Little Sandy and Gibson Deserts. The Martu were among the last Indigenous Australians to make contact with European Australia.