Community Heritage Grants nationally significant
8 November 2006
Community groups across the country will have a greater capacity to preserve Australia’s heritage following the announcement of the latest round of Community Heritage Grants.
The Minister for the Arts and Sport, Senator Rod Kemp, said significant milestones reached this year indicated the success, popularity and national significance of the program.
“Passing of the $2 million mark, doubling the funding for training grants, and increasing the number of recipients has increased the ability of community groups across the country to preserve Australia’s heritage,” Senator Kemp said at the National Library of Australia tonight.
Senator Kemp announced funding of more than $391,000 for 80 community groups and organisations under the 2006 Community Heritage Grants program.
The groups include museums, libraries, archives, historical societies, art galleries, migrant, Indigenous and religious organisations. Each received funds to assist in the identification and preservation of community owned but nationally significant heritage collections.
In addition, recipients attend a three-day intensive preservation and collection management workshop held at the National Library of Australia, the National Archives of Australia, the National Museum of Australia and the National Film and Sound Archive in Canberra.
Senator Kemp said the program, part of the government’s Strengthening Australian Arts commitment, has surpassed expectations on all levels.
“It has been taken up by community groups throughout Australia ensuring the longevity of nationally significant collections and that the collections stay in the community where they belong,” Senator Kemp said.
“The diversity of the collections chronicle our Australian lives – past and present – including transport, sport, science, industry, Indigenous, education, crafts, migration and religion. They also reflect geographic diversity with collection locations ranging from central business districts of our capital cities to tiny, isolated villages. All participants and the national institutions are to be congratulated.”
Jan Fullerton AO, Director-General National Library of Australia, said she, along with the other heads of the partner institutions, was immensely proud of the Community Heritage Grants program.
“It demonstrates our truly national commitment to preserving our heritage for the pleasure and research interests of future generations,” she said.
“Over the years hundreds of people involved in nationally significant collections throughout Australia have been given the opportunity to come to Canberra, enhance their skills through the expertise of the Library, the Museum, and the two Archives, and to then take their new knowledge back to their community to ensure the collections are preserved and managed while remaining in a meaningful context.”
2006 is the 13th anniversary of the program. In that time 506 projects throughout Australia have received a total of more than $2 million in funding and extensive training opportunities. The grant money is used for collection assessments, preservation surveys, conservation treatments, preservation training, digitisation, and purchasing quality storage material or environmental monitoring equipment.
The Community Heritage Grants Program is managed by the National Library of Australia. It is funded by the Australian Government through the Department of Communications, Information Technology and the Arts, the National Archives of Australia, the Australian Film Commission, the National Museum of Australia and the National Library of Australia.
Media contacts: Yvonne Kennedy 02 6262 1353; 0411 753 891; email@example.com
2006 COMMUNITY HERITAGE GRANTS
NEW SOUTH WALES
Arts Northern Rivers Inc received $9000 for collection management training for staff of 21 museums in the Northern NSW region and significance assessment of their collections.
Established in 2003, Arts Northern Rivers is part of the Regional Arts network. It encompasses Tweed, Lismore, Kyogle, Byron, Ballina, Richmond Valley and Clarence Valley. Its objectives include fostering and promoting the culture of the region, Indigenous arts and cultural programs. It also seeks to enhance the social and economic community development.
Australian Country Music Foundation Inc received $7200 for a significance assessment of the Foundations collection and a significance training project. The collection include the country music reference library of books and magazines, personal papers, letters, diaries, newspaper cuttings and scrapbooks, original manuscripts, photographs, posters, publicity material, sheet music, paintings, as well as audiovisual recordings and sound recordings as acetates, shellac disks, 78 records, vinyl, cassettes, CDs, slides and film.
The Foundation was formed in 1993 to establish a permanent National Country Music Archive and Resource Centre in Tamworth. Smoky Dawson has been the Foundation’s Patron since its inception.
Australian Lebanese Historical Society Inc received $2000 for digitisation of the Society’s photographic collection depicting early Lebanese settlers from 1890 to 1945. This project builds on a previous Community Heritage Grant funded project which saw the Society develop an archival strategy plan.
Formed in 1999, the Australian Lebanese Historical Society undertakes a range of activities such as historical meetings, seminars, displays and exhibitions in focussing on Lebanese settlement in Australia.
Avondale College Ltd received $5900 for a significance assessment and a preservation assessment of the College’s collection housed in the Adventist Heritage Centre. It includes 15 000 photographs, 2100 audio recordings, 1200 building plans, 400 serial titles, 350 videotapes and 45 evangelistic stage backdrops.
The Adventist Heritage Centre was established to collect, preserve and make available for research records and artefacts relating to the origins, development, and activities of the Seventhday Adventist Church in Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific Islands.
Cathedral Parish of St Saviour, Goulburn, received $4600 for a preservation survey of the Cathedral’s textile collection and a preservation training workshop. The Cathedral collection of textiles including Sowerby frontals, vestments, a centenary tapestry, a woven wall hanging, 393 kneelers and 8 cushions as well as paintings, photographs, wood carvings, processional crosses, candlesticks, carved furniture, and a crucifix carved by Edmund Blacket, who designed the Cathedral in the 1870s. This project builds on a significance assessment that was funded by a Community Heritage Grant last year.
The Cathedral Parish of St Saviour is part of the Anglican Diocese of Canberra and Goulburn.
Council of the City of Lithgow received $5000 for archival storage materials for the Eskbank House & Museum collection which has more than 2000 pieces produced or associated with the Lithgow Valley Pottery, a Suttons Crazy Patchwork Quilt dating from 1893, the Lithgow Woollen Mills Collection, the Sir Joseph Cook collection, the Eskbank Ironworks Blast Furnace Collection, a fully restored Hansom cab, wooden sulkies (circa.1900), and some fifteen hundred pieces donated by the community of Lithgow. This project implements the recommendation of a preservation survey of the collection funded by a Community Heritage Grant last year.
Eskbank House was donated to the people of Lithgow by Eric Bracey in 1966.
Chinese Australian Historical Society Inc received $5500 for a collection management and preservation training project. The focus of the two and a half day workshop will be to increase the awareness of the older Chinese community organisations in the Sydney region of the importance of collecting, maintaining and preserving their records. Since most of the pre 1960 records will be in Chinese, it is planned to have Chinese archivists present the workshop.
Founded in 2000, the Chinese Australian Historical Society Inc aims to advance the study of the history and heritage of the Chinese in Australia by holding seminars, workshops and conferences.
Chinese Nationalist Party of Australasia (KMT) Inc received $8470 for archival storage and environmental monitoring equipment for the Kuomintang Archives which include artefacts of Chinese Australian history in Australia, membership, subscription and minute books relating to KMT branches in Australasia and the Pacific Islands dating back to the 1920s, KMT Publications from China/Taiwan, and original hanging scrolls of heritage value, two of them in the original handwriting of KMT founder Sun Yatsen.
By 1915 various Chinese revolutionary and republican groups in New South Wales came together to form the Chinese Revolutionary League. In 1916 it was renamed the Chinese Nationalist League, and from that time Sydney became the centre of the Chinese republican movement throughout Oceania. In 1920 it was again renamed as the Chinese Nationalist Party of Australasia, or the Kuomintang (KMT).
Dharriwaa Elders Group (DEG) Inc received $7000 for a collection management training project. DEG was officially formed in 2000. The Group took its name from one of its sacred sites – Narran Lakes – Dharriwaa, meaning ‘common meeting place’. Its members are Aboriginal people aged over 60 who live in Walgett. Amongst DEG’s aims is to support Aboriginal elders to resume leadership roles in the community, keep active and healthy, promote local Aboriginal cultural knowledge and identity and develop the Walgett Aboriginal community.
Flying Fruit Fly Circus, Wodonga, received $4000 for a preservation survey of its collection which includes photographs, slides, videos, posters, programs, costumes, banners, theatre props, memorabilia and circus equipment. This project builds on a significance assessment of the collection funded by a 2005 Community Heritage Grant.
Founded in 1979 during The International Year of the Child, The Flying Fruit Fly Circus has established itself as one of the world's premier youth performing arts companies. It is Australia's only full time circus training institution for children.
Jessie Street National Women's Library (JSNWL) received $9900 for conservation treatments of Pine Gap Story Boards which are primarily of large poster boards put together in the early 1980s following women’s activity against the Pine Gap military installations. This project follows a preservation survey and a digitisation project.
Established in 1989, the JSNWL was named after Jessie Street who was a lifelong campaigner for women’s rights both in Australia and internationally. The Library’s collection includes 128 archival collections as well as a collection of photographs, banners, badges, ephemera as well as scholarly works scholarly works written on women’s history, women’s biographies, government publications which relate to women and women’s issues, works of literature and popular culture.
Museum of Fire Inc received $5900 for a significance assessment and preservation survey of the Museum’s collection which covers all aspects of fire from the earliest days as a tool of Indigenous groups, its role in the environment, bushfires, through to the modern Fire Service that protects our communities.
Established in 1975, the Museum of Fire aims to provide a permanent institution dedicated to the acquisition, conservation, research and communication of fire, fire fighting and fire prevention exhibits for the purpose of research, study, education and enjoyment.
Mutawintji Local Aboriginal Land Council (LALC) received $4000 for a significance assessment and archival storage of the Mutawintji LALC papers dating from 1983 to 1998. During this period title to the Mutawintji land was in dispute with the owners setting up blockades. The papers include the chairperson of the Mutawintji LALC throughout this period, Willaim Bates' personal papers such as letters, letters from and to the Mutawintji LALC, meeting agendas, minutes, notes, legal advice from barristers sympathetic to the movement, material relating to the handback legislation including position papers requesting management by the Aboriginal owners, photograghs of the blockades and meetings, and newspaper clippings.
Mutawintji LALC aims to enable Aboriginal people to access Mutawintji and to negotiate appropriate management of the sensitive and fragile cultural landscape.
Rookwood Anglican and General Cemetery Trusts received $2500 for a preservation survey of the Cemetery’s Burial Records.
The Rookwood Necropolis was founded in response to the problem Sydney was faced by in the early 19th century. Sydney’s first two cemeteries were located where Sydney Town Hall and central Railway Station now stand. These cemeteries were quickly outgrown and also unfavoured as they were situated in the centre of town. Rookwood’s first burial took place in 1867 and is still a working cemetery. It is the largest cemetery in Australia and the Southern Hemisphere, and one of the largest in the world.
Royal Society of New South Wales received $5000 for continuation of a significance of the remainder of the Society’s document collection dating back to its inception as the Philosophical Society of Australia in 1821, the first scientific society in Australia.
There are many first editions and journals unique to Australian scientific, exploration and social history. Included are original Lawrence Hargrave drawings and works by Charles Darwin and Louis Pasteur.
SDN Children's Services Inc received $6000 for the digitisation of the Services photographic collection of children, staff, board members and significant events that have taken place across throughout the Society’s life. This project will build on a preservation survey and archival storage purchase previously funded by Community Heritage Grants.
Founded in 1905 and originally known as the Sydney Day Nursery Association, SDN Children’s Services was the first such organisation in Australia to provide not for profit long day care.
Sisters of Mercy (Singleton) received $3500 for a significance assessment of Singleton Convent Library Collection which is made up of books that had belonged to the Sisters since their arrival from Ireland.
The Sisters of Mercy Singleton was founded from Ennis, Co Clare, Ireland in August 1875. A group of ten young women arrived to minister within the then Diocese of Maitland. The Sisters gradually spread throughout the Hunter Valley, teaching, nursing, and engaging in various kinds of ministries to the disadvantaged. The Sisters still currently own the Mater Misericordiae Hospital, Waratah, NSW.
Society of the Friends of St Mary's Cathedral Choir Sydney received $2700 for a significance assessment of its collection which includes considerable historical material on the choir, as well as printed music and recorded music.
The Choir is Australia’s oldest continuous musical institution dating from 1817. Currently it is a 60-voice choir comprising men and boys. The Friends aim to publish the history of the choir from its inception in 1817, to build the sound and music archives, and to maintain the historical archives.
St Clement's Monastery – Trustees of the Redemptorist Fathers received $6700 for a significance assessment and preservation survey of the Monastery’s collection and a preservation training project. The collection is diverse spanning pre-European settlement, early settlement and Monastery life, with much of it only being located during the recent renovations at the monastery. Material related to Galong located in other Redemptorist houses is being returned for inclusion in the archive.
The Redemptorists (Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer) came to Australia in 1882. The foundation stone of the monastery was laid in 1917 and the Juvenate, St Clement’s College officially opened in 1918. The college closed in 1975 and the accommodation is now a Retreat Centre.
St George Regional Museum, Hurstville City Council received $2700 for a significance assessment of the Museum’s core collection which relates to the history of the St George district from 1788–1970.
The Museum started its life as the Centennial Bakery. Today it is run by Hurstville City Council, as a facility designed to collect, maintain, interpret and exhibit artefacts that relate to the history, heritage and culture of the regional area.
Sydney Jewish Museum received $4000 for a significance assessment and preservation survey of the National Australian Jewish Ex-Servicemen (NAJEX) collection comprising materials related to the contribution of Australian Jewish personnel to conflicts in which the Australian forces have been involved.
The Sydney Jewish Museum opened in 1992. Its mission is to build cross-cultural understanding by addressing questions of social justice, human rights and tolerance through its displays of the Holocaust, Australian Jewish history and Jewish culture and traditions.
The Oaks Historical Society Inc received $3520 for a significance assessment of the collection at the Wollondilly Heritage Centre. The collection includes artefacts and documents relating to local history such as industry – timber getting, mining, orcharding and poultry farms, education, farming, and local military history represented from the Boer War, WWI, WWII, Vietnam and on the home front.
The Oaks Historical Society was formed in 1979 to research the history of The Oaks and the Burragorang Valley which was flooded by Warragamba Dam.
Trustees of Linden Observatory received $2970 for a significance assessment of the Observatory collection comprising the residence of the engineer Mr Ken Beames, the Observatory dome, various workshops and outbuildings and their contents.
The Linden Observatory Trust came into being in 1989 upon the death Mr Beames, who had built Linden Observatory. His Will created a charitable Trust to promote and encourage the study of astronomy and to maintain in perpetuity the Observatory.
Unions NSW received $6800 for a preservation survey of the Trade Hall Trade Union Banner and Trades Hall and Literary Institute Library collection comprising more than 100 heritage banners, 1000 posters, 10 000 books, an extensive archive, 1200 union badges, and union ephemera.
Established in 1871, the Labor Council of NSW, now Unions NSW, is the oldest trade union peak council in Australia. Unions NSW represents more than 700 000 working people wages, conditions, and occupational health and safety issues. It also develops policy positions on a wide range of economic, environmental and social issues as a voice for union members.
Young and District Historical Society Inc and Lambing Flat Museum received $3850 for conservation of the Roll-up Flag which was used as a marching banner in a series of incidents in mid-1861 organised by miners to protest against the presence of the Chinese at the Burrangong Goldfield on the Lambing Flat diggings, now the township of Young.
The Museum's mission is to demonstrate the unique history of Young and district through the collection, research, presentation and exhibition of objects, documents and audiovisual material.
Bundaberg Arts Centre received $3500 for a preservation survey of the Bundaberg City Art collection which includes works by artists with national, state and local significance.
Located in the historic Customs House (circa. 1902), the Centre hosts local and touring exhibitions of visual arts, crafts and social history as well as organising art workshops, holiday programs, school tours and cultural events.
Capricorn Coast Historical Society received $3300 for a textile conservation training project. The training sessions will focus on preservation in harsh climatic conditions. They will be open to participants from the history and heritage groups within Central Queensland region whose collections include clothing and household linens, military and nursing uniforms, hats and accessories, dolls and toys.
Re-formed in 1986, the Capricorn Coast Historical Society collects, preserves, makes accessible and displays objects, photographs, memorabilia and documentary materials of significance to the history of the Capricorn Coast region. The CCHS has collections relating to the historic Atherton, Rattenbury, Medew and Walls families, as well as the 1890s Rutherford Armstrong photographic collection and the Noon film collection.
The Embroiderers' Guild of QLD Inc received $5900 for a significance assessment and preservation survey of its collection established to make available a study material representing as widely as possible the types and styles of embroidery of all periods and from all parts of the world.
The Guild was established in 1968 when about 30 people, meeting in one another's homes, felt the need to further the understanding of embroidery within the Brisbane community.
Highfields Pioneer Village, Museum and Park Inc received $9130 for a significance assessment and preservation survey of the Toowoomba Foundry collection, and a preservation workshop project. The focus will be on Southern Cross artefacts and historic photographs and documents, and the training of volunteers as to how to maintain the collection.
The Museum is a community based association established in 2000 to support, maintain and enhance the pioneer village at Highfields on the eastern Darling Downs.
Kumbia and District Historical Society received $2700 for archival storage materials to house the E.H Meares Collection of 13000 negatives and some plate glass negatives from the period 1923 –1953. Meares was the official photographer for the Livestock Bulletin and the Qld Country Life Newspaper.
The Society was established in 1980 to preserve the history of Kumbia and District.
Longreach Archival and Research Group Inc received $5500 for a collection management training project. The resulting skills will be used to preserve and manage the Group’s collection which includes photographs, oral histories, and cemetery records documenting the story of pioneer settlement in the outback.
The Group’s activities include the research of Outside Graves, which are the graves of people buried at the Railway sidings (which no longer exist), on the properties and at the Cobb and Co stop. It also researches the old part of the Longreach Cemetery where many of the markers are lost or moved making graves difficult to locate. Between 4000 to 4500 people are buried in the cemetery.
Mater Archives and Heritage Centre received $3200 for a preservation survey of its collection relating to the establishment of the Mercy Order in Brisbane in 1861 and the Mater Hospitals.
Established in 1987, the Centre was set up to preserve and manage historical material of the Mater Hospitals, the first of which was established in Brisbane in 1906.
Queensland Choir received $5900 for a significance assessment and preservation survey of its collection which documents the Choir’s 139 year history covering all areas of the Choir administration and performances including details of venues, composers, conductors, orchestras, soloists, accompanists and the music performed.
The Choir has more than 100 volunteer choristers, of diverse cultural backgrounds and ages, who perform in the symphonic choir, the chamber choir, or both. Beginning in 1872 as The Brisbane Musical Union, the choir has more recently been known as The Queensland State and Municipal Choir and has led the development of choral performances in Queensland for more than a century.
Redland Museum Inc received $2800 for a preservation training workshop focussing on guidelines for handling collection items, display methods, correct lighting, pest and moisture control and preservation techniques of the Museum’s collection which ranges from postcards to tractors.
The Museum was established in 1970 and initially collected farm machinery. It now has more than 13 000 items in the collection dating back to the 1860s.
Toowoomba Grammar School Old Boys Association Inc received $3520 for a preservation survey of its archive collection which includes the original minutes of meetings of the Board of Trustees, the first receipt book, cash book and ledger, the original Deed of Grant and the original School Register with the names of all boys who have entered the School since the first day in 1877 to the present.
The Association has a particular interest in preserving the history of the School and has been collecting historically significant objects, documents, photographs etc since the foundation of the School in 1875.
UCA St Andrew's Uniting Church – Heritage Committee received $3200 for a preservation survey of its archive collection which includes the entire collection of paper-based materials, namely photographs, books, plans, pamphlets, and documents, which are housed in the Edward Griffith Reading Room. This project implements recommendations of a preservation survey previously funded by a Community Heritage Grant.
The Committee’s collection includes original letters and other documents connected with the Wharf Street Congregational Church (1860–1928), the Wickham Terrace Presbyterian Church (1862–1905) letters relating to the acquisition of land and the construction of the present Church and its pipe organ (1899–1905), rare history books, the Great War honour rolls, and a communion set used by a Minister of the Church at Gallipoli in 1915.
University of Southern Queensland (USQ) received $2700 for a significance assessment of the USQ Historical Archives collection which includes governing boards and committee minutes, agendas and supporting documents, annual reports, handbooks, graduation programs and registers, photographs and films.
The collection also includes material relating to Sister Elizabeth Kenny who developed the Kenny Method for treating polio.
Yeppoon RSL Military Museum received $2750 for archival storage materials to preserve its collection of letters, postcards, identification documents, maps, photographs and paintings. This project implements the recommendations of a preservation survey funded by a 2005 Community Heritage Grant.
Begun in the 1950s, the Yeppoon RSL Military Museum is a collection of, documents, newspapers, memorabilia and weapons of wars and conflicts in which Australia has been involved.
Adelaide Gaol Preservation Society received $3300 for archival storage materials for its collection of artefacts relating to the Gaol history including officer and inmate uniforms, bedding, books, documents, newspaper cuttings, guns, locks, ball & chains, handcuffs, prisoner made implements, prison records, hanging and escape ropes.
The Adelaide Gaol Preservation Society was formed in 1989 to provide guides, to fundraise, and to conserve and preserve the Gaol, both historically and physically – to fundraise to help with ongoing preservation.
Ayers House Museum – the National Trust of South Australia received $9000 conservation treatment of photographs in the Museum’s Documentary Collection. This project builds on previous preservation projects funded by Community Heritage Grants. It is one of the last remaining grand 19th century mansions that once lined North Terrace and is the only historic house within the CBD of Adelaide. It was home to Sir Henry Ayers, a dominant character in colonial South Australia between 1855 and 1897. Sir Henry served as Premier of South Australia seven times, as well as holding influential roles in the business sector as the Director of Burra Mines and first Chairman of the South Australian Gas Company.
Catholic Church Endowment Society Inc received $3200 for a preservation survey of the Adelaide Archdiocesan Archives collection which includes diaries and correspondence of the early Archbishops and other notable pioneers of the Archdiocese, dating from the 1830s through to 1950s, 1850s census materials for the Mt Barker district, sacramental registers from the 1840s to the 1920s, and 1930s church vestments and jewellery that predate canon law changes to liturgical services.
The Adelaide Archdiocesan collection complements the significant collections held by the Catholic Archdiocesan Archives in Sydney, Melbourne and Perth.
Folk Federation of South Australia Inc received $5900 for a significance assessment and preservation survey of the John Morris Library comprising approximately 900 Compact Disks, 500 cassette tapes, 100 VHS format video tapes, a number of newsletters and magazines from other folk/arts organizations, and 100 books.
The Federation formed in 1971 to organise community Folk Festivals and promote live music events. It organised its first festival in 1974 and ran the Annual S.A. State Folk Festival from 1979 to 2001, and the Medieval Festival from 1993 to 2002. In 2000 the Federation the S.A. Folk Centre consisting of a performance venue, administration office, The John Morris Library and Folk Trax music shop.
JamFactory Contemporary Craft and Design received $3200 for a preservation survey of its collection of several thousand slides that document the processes and finished products produced and/or exhibited at JamFactory.
Since 1974, JamFactory has played a leading role in contemporary Australian craft and design. Its studios have launched numerous significant national careers and its galleries have presented and documented important artistic and cultural material. The initial ideas for the cultural enterprise JamFactory were formed by the art and crafts community in the 1960s but it was decisions by the then Premier and Minister for the Arts, Don Dunstan, that lead to the establishment of the South Australian Craft Authority, as it was then known.
Kadina Branch, National Trust South Australia received $9000 for environmental control for its Australian dryland farming machinery collection.
The Kadina Branch was formed in 1966. The branch operates a museum which aims to preserve, collect, interpret, research and display the history of Australian dryland farming, the heritage and history of Kadina and the local farming region from pre-European settlement to the present day.
Lobethal Heritage Association received $9900 for a significance assessment of the collection of mill machinery, objects and mill archives which was given to the people of Lobethal Onkaparinga Woollen Company ceased operations in 1993, and for a conservation training project.
The Lobethal Heritage Association assumed responsibility for the collection currently stored at the Adelaide Hills Tourism and Business Centre which occupies the old mill site.
Mount Lofty Districts Historical Society Inc received $5500 for a significance assessment and conservation materials to preserve its collection of 4000 photographs including ones of the Stirling Oval during the Great Depression, the home front during WWII, and the recent construction of the Adelaide Hills Heysen Tunnels.
The Society was established in 1978 to “uncover, preserve and publish the history of the Mt Lofty Districts”.
Port Dock Station Railway Museum (SA) Inc, which trades as the National Railway Museum (NRM), received $4000 for a preservation survey of its collection of locomotives and carriages and an extensive archive of historical material and artefacts.
The NRM is unique in that it represents railway operations from Commonwealth, State and private operators on the three major railway gauges used throughout Australia. It has its origins in Railway Terrace Mile End where the Australian Railway Historical Society (SA) Division established the Mile End Railway Museum in 1963. During the 1980s a new entity, the Port Dock Station Railway Museum (SA) Inc. was created to oversee the relocation of the Museum to the site of the former South Australian Railways Port Dock Station and freight yards.
Stratford Historical Society received $3800 for a Caring for the Collection training workshop. The Society’s collection includes photographs, maps, some early Shire and local business records, household, farming and local community artefacts including some local Indigenous memorabilia.
The Society was established in 1968 to collect, conserve, research, exhibit and interpret artefacts, documents, records and other memorabilia which relates to the life and times of the Stratford area and its place in wider Gippsland.
Whyalla Public Library received $3200 for a significance assessment of the Whyalla shipyards and steelworks archive collection of newspapers, research materials, scrapbooks, movies, slides and photographs from 1899 to the 1970s. The Whyalla shipyards were fundamental to the growth of the city up until its closure in 1978.
Friends of the Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens received $3520 for a preservation survey of its historic collection of books dating from early 1800s to 1920s, maps dating back to 1856 plus other materials the targeted project collection. Some of the books are rare, and are in poor condition. They include general gardening books and floras.
The Friends group was incorporated in 1992. It raises funds, supports special projects and provides volunteers for six activity streams: herbarium, visitor services, propagation, tour guiding, Friends Cottage, and foreshore refurbishment.
Glenorchy City Council has received $2700 for a significance assessment of the Council's heritage collections which relate to the greater Hobart area. Plans, photographs, artworks and engineering drawings relating to significant heritage places within the city make up a large part of the collection. Glenorchy has 16 places on the Register of the National Estate. The collection includes material on many of these places.
The Council was formed in 1964, on the centenary of the founding of the Glenorchy Municipality. It administers the northern area of greater Hobart.
Maritime Museum of Tasmania received $5200 for the digitisation of more than 5000 maritime photographs. These are part of the 13 000 photographs and negatives, 1200 objects including ship models, ship and yacht plans, lighthouse fittings, whaling material, navigational instruments and artefacts relating to Tasmanian waters and vessels which make up the Museum’s collections. This project builds on previous significance and preservation surveys funded by Community Heritage Grants.
The Maritime Museum of Tasmania was established in 1973. Its initial collection derived from the Shiplovers Society, which had been formed in 1931. In 2000 the Museum was relocated from Battery Point to its present location next to Hobart’s waterfront.
Southern Midlands Council – Oatlands Gaol and Courthouse Working Group received $3700 for a preservation survey of the Oatlands Gaol and Court House heritage collections which includes a significant number of chattels associated with Oatlands Court House, approximately 300 items relating to the domestic use phase of that building (1910–1977) and a thousands of artefacts resulting from archaeological excavations at the Court House and Gaol during the last 25 years.
The Oatlands Gaol and Court House Working Group was formed in 2004 and provides advice to Council regarding the conservation, promotion and management of the Oatlands Gaol and Court House. The Oatlands Gaol (1834) and Court House (1828) are nationally significant buildings in the heart of historic Oatlands. They are each listed on the Tasmanian Heritage Register and the Register of the National Estate.
Anglican Diocese of Melbourne received $5900 for a significance assessment and preservation survey of the Diocese archive collection which includes the Royal Letters Patent granted by Queen Victoria in 1847 which created the Anglican Diocese of Melbourne and the City of Melbourne.
The Archives of the Diocese has unique records describing the development of the Anglican Church in Melbourne as well as a broader history of the development of the colony.
Ararat & District Historical Society Inc received $1540 for a preservation training workshop project. The Society’s collection includes more than 1200 items including photographs, documents, maps, books, toys, tools, sport and Aboriginal artefacts.
The Society was established in 1963 and opened the Mangi Morgala Museum in 1970.
Arts Project Australia received $1700 for a caring for collections workshop to assist in preserving items which include the Sidney Myer Fund Permanent Collection of drawings and paintings that formed the basis of two early landmark exhibitions Minus/Plus in 1975 and Tommy’s World in 1980, and a cross-section of work produced in the Arts Project studio.
Founded in 1974, Arts Project Australia is a unique gallery and studio based in Northcote, Melbourne, dedicated to the individual artistic expression of people with an intellectual disability and its recognition by the wider community.
Australian Aircraft Restoration Group, trading as the Australian National Aviation Museum, received $7920 for a significance assessment and preservation survey of the Museum’s archival library and a conservation training workshop.
Established in 1962, the Australian National Aviation Museum, is located at Moorabbin Airport near Melbourne.
Australian Ballet School received $5900 for a significance assessment and preservation survey of its archive collection which includes letters, student records, media material, photos and performance programs.
Established in 1964, the Australian Ballet School is the national institution for vocational training in classical ballet.
Australian Gliding Museum received $5900 for a significance assessment and preservation survey of its historic aviation literature, documents and audio visual material.
Established in 1999, the museum collects, preserves and displays items of sports aviation interest; stimulates awareness of all forms of sport, particularly gliding; promote interest in restoration, display and flying vintage gliders.
Australian Polish Community Services (APCS) Inc received $2000 for a preservation training workshop to assist in preserving its collection of documents relating to the establishment of the organisation and its activities.
APCS was established in 1983 to address the growing needs of the ageing Polish population in the Western Metropolitan Region of Victoria.
Creswick Museum and Gold Battery received $5270 for a preservation survey and a preservation workshop training program.
Creswick Museum and Gold Battery was opened in 1970 and houses 3000 images dating from the 1860s onwards reflecting Creswick and district’s events, former residents and landmarks. The Museum’s art collection features such artist as T.G. Moyle, W. Tibbits, J. Longstaff, V. Litherland and members of the Lindsay family former owners of Creswick. The Gold Battery is the only original gold battery fully operational in Victoria.
Knox Historical Society Inc received $2700 for a significance assessment of the Society’s collection which includes the locally significant round stained glass window from the old Ferntree Gully Shire Hall, and material from former Australian Prime Minister, Stanley Melbourne Bruce’s early childhood residence, Doongalla.
Knox was once a rural area outside of metropolitan Melbourne, but is now a thriving municipality of more than 150,000 people.
Indigo Shire Council received $6500 for a significance assessment and preservation survey of the Beechworth Historic Courthouse Law Library which was established shortly after the Courthouse was opened in 1858.
Many of Australia's legends are woven into the fabric of the history of the Beechworth Historic Courthouse – people such as Sir Isaac Isaacs, Robert O'Hara Burke and Sir Redmond Barry and on the other side of the law – Ned Kelly and his mother Ellen Kelly, the bushranger, Harry Power and the first woman hanged in Victoria, Elizabeth Scott.
Museum of Chinese Australian History Inc received $3200 for a preservation survey of its collection of more than over 2000 artefacts relating to the experiences of Chinese immigrants to Australia, particularly since the mid-nineteenth century onwards. It includes letters, manuscripts, photographs, title deeds, clothing, furniture, ceremonial and medicinal objects. Established in 1985 the Museum documents, preserves, collects, researches, and displays the history and culture of Australians of Chinese descent.
Port of Echuca received $7600 for a significance assessment and preservation survey of the Port’s collection which includes the original historic wharf built in 1864, paddlesteamers, steam traction engines, historic buildings, an A2 locomotive and an archive with more than 2000 historic photographs maps, plans, books and ephemera relating to the period 1860 to 1920.
The Echuca Wharf is the only river port wharf of its kind in Australia and has been nominated for entry in the National Heritage list. The paddlesteamers date from the PS Adelaide built in 1866 to the PS Alexander Arbuhnot 1933.
Royal Historical Society of Victoria received $5000 for four collection management training workshops for regional Victorian collecting organisations. The workshops will be delivered in regional Victoria in 2007 and will focus on practical information and skill development.
Participants will be volunteer members of the RHSV affiliated societies.
See Yup Society Inc. of Melbourne received $9000 for conservation treatments, equipment purchases, documentation and training for the Temple Tablets Restoration and Documentation Project. The tablets are memorials to those from the Hoi Ping, Yan Ping, Toy San and San Woi districts of south-west Guangdong Province who died in Victoria, from the 1850s to now.
The Society was formed in 1854 to care for the welfare of Chinese during the Gold Rush. The Temple was built in 1856 in Raglan Street, South Melbourne and is one of the oldest temples in the southern hemisphere.
St Francis' Choir received $2530 for an archival storage materials project to preserve its large number of 19th and early 20th century musical scores, sound recordings photographs; correspondence and ephemera relating to the Choir’s activities. The Choir was founded in 1845 for the opening of Victoria’s first Catholic church and is the state’s oldest church choir.
Upper Murray Historical Society Inc received $4400 for a significance assessment of the Man from Snowy River Museum collection and a collection management training project which will focus on preservation and presentation.
First established in 1963, the Society acquires materials considered significant to the Upper Murray, promotes compilation of authentic historical records, and encourages research into the Upper Murray region. A Museum highlight is the comprehensive collection of handmade skis and skiing equipment dating back as far as the late 1800s. This collection was put on display in the United States in 1984 as part of the World Expo, and includes a bassinette on skis for the baby in the family.
Boyanup Foundation Inc received $7150 for a significance assessment and preservation survey of the Boyanup Museum’s collection which includes rural, industrial, and pioneering photographs, artefacts and objects as well as railway rolling stock.
The Foundation was founded in 1980 to give Boyanup recreational groups an opportunity to further improve their talents and amenities for the broader good of the community. It also acquires and maintains historic relic for the Museum.
Broome Historical Society and Museum received $2300 for digitisation of the Museum’s photographic collection which documents the history of pearling and the air raid on Broome. This project builds on previous preservation projects funded by Community Heritage Grants.
The Broome Historical Society was formed in 1975 to collect, preserve and provide a place for objects relating to Broome and to foster research into the various aspects of Broome's history.
City of Stirling Libraries for the Mount Flora Regional Museum received $6200 for a significance assessment of the Museum’s collection which documents the social development of Perth’s northern coastal suburbs, and for a training workshop in paper conservation.
A large proportion of the Mt Flora collection is paper-based. The workshop will give 25 participants the information needed to care for the collection and will provide the skills for assessing the paper-based component of the collection and deciding on the necessary steps needed to prolong the life of the material.
Ethnic Communities Council of Western Australia Inc received $5900 for a significance assessment and preservation survey of the Council’s collection comprising documents dating from its establishment in 1975, Federal/State/Local government and community reports pertinent to the multicultural community, meeting minutes, correspondence and photographs.
The Council is recognised as the peak organisation representing the interests of various ethnic communities in this State. It was established in 1975 as a means of working on issues of mutual concern and to lobby government on the need for appropriate service delivery to people of diverse backgrounds.
Museum of Childhood – Edith Cowan University received $3200 for a preservation survey of items from its collection which is Australia's most comprehensive of childhood heritage with approximately 20 000 objects. The collection includes toys, dolls, games, items of infant care and children's domestic and school life as well as items pertaining to specific historic and contemporary themes as well as photographs, documents and books.
The Museum of Childhood, owned by Edith Cowan University, began as a private collection by Mrs Mary McKenzie who collected childhood heritage items and conducted education programs for children from 1975 until her retirement in 1984.
National Trust of Australia (WA) received $3900 for a preservation survey of the Trust’s Heritage Archive collection which includes materials from when the organisation was founded in the early 1960s to the present time.
Established through an act of parliament in 1959, the National Trust plays a pivotal role in heritage education and advocacy as well as the management of heritage sites throughout WA.
Ravensthorpe Historical Society Inc received $7590 for a significance assessment and preservation survey of the Society’s extensive photograph collection documenting the early days of white settlement in the district, as well as mining and farming machinery and implements.
The Society has been operating since the early 1980s. It aims to collect, preserve and share records, photographs, artefacts and memorabilia related to the district’s history.
Western Australian Cricket Association (WACA) and Museum, East Perth, received $7300 for an archival storage materials project. The WACA’s collection which includes significant items of the greats of cricket in Western Australia and Australia The collection includes significant memorabilia belonging to the greats in Australian cricket such as Dennis Lillee and Sir Donald Bradman including autographed cricket bats and documents. Other sports including football, lacrosse, tennis and hockey are represented reflecting the multi-faceted history of sport at the WACA ground. This project implements the recommendations of a preservation survey funded by a 2005 Community Heritage Grant.
Founded in 1885, the Association, through the WACA Museum, seeks to collect, preserve, document, store or display and interpret items that pertain to the history of Western Australian, Australian and International cricket and sport.
AUSTRALIAN CAPITAL TERRITORY
Planning Institute of Australia received $3000 for a preservation survey of the Institute's archival collection of urban and regional planning documents.
The Planning Institute of Australia, formed in 1954, is the peak professional body for urban and regional planners and associated professions in Australia concerned with the built environment. It has around 4600 members with Divisions in every State and Territory and an International Division and in the last few years has been growing by 10% per annum.
Canberra Grammar School received $3200 for a preservation survey of the school’s archives which include various photographic collections, clothing (school uniforms), books, trophies, medals, plans, equipment, ephemera, and audio visual media dating back to 1927. Many prominent Australians were educated at CGS including former Prime Minister Gough Whitlam.
Canberra Grammar opened as a boarding and day school for boys the day before the opening of Federal Parliament under the leadership of William John Edwards (later Canon). Edwards had originally been appointed Headmaster of the Monaro Grammar School (MGS), Cooma. Understanding the potential of the new Federal Capital and, with the support of the Bishop of Goulburn, he transferred the MGS to Red Hill bringing some 20 boys from MGS to join 43 others.
Craft Australia received $6500 for a significance assessment and a preservation survey of its collection of Australian and international specialist craft books, magazines, journals, exhibition catalogues, conference and other papers as well as a slide collection of professional Australian craft artists.
Craft Australia is the professional association representing Australia’s professional craft, design artists and makers nationally and internationally. It has been celebrating and promoting Australian contemporary craft practice since 1971. As the peak industry body for the professional contemporary craft sector, Craft Australia has responded to changes in the industry and has implemented key strategies to facilitate its growth.