Community Heritage Grants Set Records from Broome to Burnie
9 November 2005
The 2005 Community Heritage Grants have set new records on the number and size of grants, the diversity of recipients, the range of cultural heritage collections and geographic distribution.
The 76 community groups awarded grants, totalling $377 865, were announced by the Federal Minister for the Arts and Sport, Senator the Hon. Rod Kemp, at the National Library of Australia.
The groups include museums, libraries, archives, historical societies, art galleries, migrant, Indigenous and religious organisations. Each received funds to assist in the identification and preservation of community owned but nationally significant heritage collections. In addition, recipients attend a three-day intensive preservation and collection management workshop held at the National Library of Australia, the National Archives, the National Museum of Australia and the National Film and Sound Archives in Canberra .
Senator Kemp said the Community Heritage Grants are very important in supporting the effort to preserve our national heritage at the grassroots.
“From Broome to Burnie the grants provide funds and expertise to ensure our national heritage is protected and accessible with the collections remaining in their local context.
“This year sees the Community Heritage Grants program come of age with a stronger emphasis on training, the inclusion of artefacts, and the participation of the National Museum . The program’s maturity and national significance as part of the government’s Strengthening Australian Arts commitment is recognised with an almost doubling of grant funding and the raising of the grant ceiling to $10 000,” he said.
2005 is the 12th anniversary of the program. In that time 426 projects throughout Australia have received more than $1.6 million in funding and extensive training opportunities. The grant money is used for collection assessments, preservation surveys, conservation treatments, preservation training, digitisation, and purchasing quality storage material or environmental monitoring equipment.
Jan Fullerton AO, Director-General National Library of Australia , said the Community Heritage Grants demonstrate the commitment of the National Library and all the partner institutions to preserving our heritage, particularly through training.
“It’s about our national institutions coming together to share their expertise which is then taken back to communities throughout Australia . This skills transfer aims to have heritage collections remain in the community and available for the pleasure and research interests of future generations of Australians,” she said.
The Community Heritage Grants Program is managed by the National Library of Australia. It is funded by the Australian Government through the Department of Communications, Information Technology and the Arts, the National Archives of Australia, the Australian Film Commission, the National Museum of Australia and the National Library of Australia.
Director Communications and Marketing
Telephone: 02 6262 1353 or 0411 753 891
Communications and Marketing
Mobile: 0417 491 139
Australian Capital Territory
Catholic Welfare Australia received $2500 for a significance assessment of the organisation's historical documents and library collection associated which the development of social policy in Australia .
Catholic Welfare is an organisation of the Australian Catholic Bishops Conference that promotes the ministry of Catholic social welfare as integral to the mission of the Catholic Church in Australia .
Australian Academy of Science received $2600 to assist in p reserving audio and audiovisual material significant to the early history of the Academy and making transcripts of the audio material available on the Academy website.
The material relates to the early days of the Academy which was founded in 1954 by Australian Fellows of the Royal Society of London. The distinguished physicist Sir Mark Oliphant was founding President while Foundation Fellows included Sir John Eccles, Sir Macfarlane Burnet and Sir Douglas Mawson.
Fire Brigade Historical Society of the ACT Inc received $2750 for preservation training on the Canberra Fire Museum collection with a view implementing best practice in preservation procedures.
The collection includes 26 motorised fire appliances, hand drawn appliances and memorabilia associated with emergency services ranging from photographs, uniforms and Occurrence books from 1924 to 1968. The collection comprises more than 50 000 items.
Australian Dance Council – Ausdance Inc received $9900 for digitisation and archival storage materials as recommended in the collection’s preservation survey, funded in the 2004 Community Heritage Grants program. The Ausdance collection contains clippings, journals, ephemera, pamphlets, programs, photographs and other items that document Australia ’s important contribution to dance and choreography.
Ausdance Inc was founded in 1977 to promote the awareness and understanding of dance throughout Australia ; develop lobbying and advocacy opportunities and foster international links with dance and dance related organisations.
ACT Council of Social Service Inc. (ACTCOSS) received $3000 for a p reservation survey of the ACT Council of Social Service Inc records and resource collection comprising material on social policy including ACTCOSS, state and federal government and ACT community sector publications, internal records, media clippings and photos.
ACTCOSS is the peak representative body for not-for-profit community organisations and disadvantaged and low income citizens in the ACT.
New South Wales
Council of the City of Lithgow received $4465 for a preservation survey and archival storage materials Eskbank House & Museum collection which has more than 2000 pieces produced or associated with the Lithgow Valley Pottery, Lithgow N.S.W, a Suttons Crazy Patchwork Quilt dating from 1893, the Lithgow Woollen Mills Collection, the Sir Joseph Cook collection, the Eskbank Ironworks Blast Furnace Collection, a fully restored Hansom cab, wooden sulkies (c.1900), and some fifteen hundred pieces donated by the community of Lithgow.
Eskbank House was donated to the people of Lithgow by Eric Bracey in 1966.
North Bondi Surf Life Saving Society Inc received $5500 for a significance assessment and preservation survey of the North Bondi Surf LifeSaving Club collection.
Material held dates back to the inception of the Club in 1906 and of Surf LifeSaving including original photos of Club members, bronze medallions, carnival pennants,certificates of merit; minute books starting from 1920 and swimming costumes from 1940s onwards.
Kuringai Historical Society Inc received $7370 for a t raining workshop for volunteers and archival storage materials for i ts collection of more than 3000 photographs. The photographs, some of which date back to 1860, include works by Harold Cazneaux as well as rare images of the construction of the Sydney Harbour Bridge .
The training workshop will aim to develop the Society’s volunteers' knowledge of the principles of preserving paper based records and in the administrative processes and management guidelines adopted by the Society to implement the recommendations of the Preservation Survey which was funded under the 2004 Community Heritage Grants.
Cowra Shire Council received $5800 for a preservation survey and archival storage materials for the Pardey Collection.
The Collection comprises an estimated 80000 negatives including approximately 500 glass plate negatives accumulated by studio photographer George Pardey and retained by successive owners of his business. The negatives record the social history of Cowra and district from the late 1880s to the 1960s, including a record of post war immigrants, a comprehensive account of the Cowra POW Breakout and construction of Wyangala Dam.
The Cathedral Parish of St Saviour, Goulburn, received $3000 for a significance assessment of the Cathedral collection of textiles including vestments, a centenary tapestry, a woven wall hanging, 393 kneelers and 8 cushions as well as paintings, photographs, wood carvings, processional crosses, candlesticks, carved furniture, and a crucifix carved by Edmund Blacket, who designed the Cathedral in the 1870s.
The Cathedral Parish of St Saviour is part of the Anglican Diocese of Canberra and Goulburn.
The Chinese Nationalist Party of Australasia (Kuomintang, KMT), Haymarket, received $6930 for significance and preservation needs assessments of its collection of archival records, photos, films and artefacts.
The collection is viewed as one of the most important collections in Australia of archives, in Chinese, and artefacts of Chinese Australian history. It includes documents relating to KMT branches in Australasia and the Pacific Islands (1920-1950), KMT Publications from China/Taiwan (1930-1980), photographs covering KMT personalities and events throughout Oceania (1920-1990), two original hanging scrolls in the handwriting of KMT founder Sun Yatsen and films imported from Taiwan and screened between 1950-1980.
Liverpool Plains Shire Council received $3500 for a p reservation survey of the Rail Journeys Museum collection relating to the social history of railways Australia-wide.
The collection has more than 2000 objects pertaining to railways and railway trades across Australia . There are significant publications from the NSW Railway Institute, the social hub of every railway employee, operations and safety manuals and railway records of staff employment, seniority and grades. More than 600 photographs spanning the past two centuries combined with personal and staff histories and items relating to wheat handling by rail, create a comprehensive picture of rail systems and the people who worked on them across Australia .
Hawkesbury Museum and Tourist Centre received $4400 for a p reservation survey of and archival storage materials to rehouse its collection with connections to early pioneering history and settlement of Australia and links to nationally significant individuals and themes.
The collection comprises more than 5000 items relating to Aboriginal heritage, early pioneer settlement, the development of the Hawkesbury region, as well as objects from the local RAAF.
Royal Society of New South Wales , University of Sydney , received $5500 for significance and preservation surveys of the Society’s document collection dating back to its inception as the Philosophical Society of Australia in 1821, the first scientific society in Australia .
There are many first editions and journals unique to Australian scientific, exploration and social history. Included are original Lawrence Hargrave drawings and photographs and works by Charles Darwin and Louis Pasteur.
Campbelltown City Library received $3000 for a p reservation survey of the Campbelltown local studies collection which aims to provide information of historic, social and research value.
The Council's collections have been used by both undergraduate and postgraduate researchers, investigating such diverse issues as work for the dole schemes during the Great Depression, and the water conservation projects of the convict built Cattle Tank/Water Race and the dams of Thomas Rose at Mount Gilead .
New England Regional Art Museum, Armidale, received $8300 for c onservation treatments and equipment following infestations of pests including booklice.
The Museum houses the Howard Hinton Collection, the Chandler Coventry Collection, and the Armidale City Collection. In total there are more than 5000 works in the collection of paintings, works on paper, sculptures, textiles and indigenous objects.
Glen Innes and District Historical Society received $4180 for archival storage materials to assist in the preservation of its collection which comprises approximately 10000 objects, 350000 archival records and more than 6000 photographs.
The Historical Society was formed in 1968 for the collection, documentation, preservation, storage and dissemination of the history of Glen Innes and District. The Society manages The Land of the Beardies History House Museum and Archive Centre.
New Italy Museum, Woodburn, received $6600 for a s ignificance assessment and a preservation survey of its collection which includes early farm equipment, horse carts and drays, wine making equipment paintings, letters, journals and household goods.
New Italy Museum Inc was founded in 1961 to establish a memorial and museum complex as a tribute to the courage and strength of Italian immigrants who in the 1880s settled in the Woodburn region, the first area of Italian settlement in regional Australia .
Anglican Church of St John the Evangelist, Balmain North, received $3300 for a preservation survey of St John's photographic archive and heritage register. The collection comprises photographs and historical parish registers, accounts books, and minutes books dating back to 1882 when the church was built.
Friends of St Clair, Goulburn, received $5500 for a significance assessment and preservation survey of the collection based at St Clair cottage.
The collection comprises items dating back to the early 1800s and consists of items portraying everyday life including furniture, bric-a-brac, clothing, landscapes and portraits. Archive items include hundred of original photographs, glass negatives and slides dating from the early 1800s.
Millthorpe & District Historical Society Inc received $6000 for a significance assessment and preservation survey of the collection housed in the Golden Memories Museum .
The social history resources include the J.H.A. Lister collection, which marks the discovery of the first payable gold, by Lister and the brother Tom in 1851. The Sixth Light Horse Regiment Millthorpe Troop is described through photographs, medals and tokens, ephemera, uniform accessories and personal equipment.
Moree Plains Gallery received $9000 for a design for a Kamilaroi Keeping Place attached to the Gallery. The Keeping Place (similar to a rotunda) will contain steel, timber and glass safe-boxes for display and storage of some 200 Kamilaroi artefacts, weapons, tools and carved stones for at least a 200-year period.
The Gallery aims to promote and enrich the cultural life of the community through the display of significant works of art, while supporting the work of contemporary Australian artists, especially Aboriginal artists.
Islamic Council of NSW, Greenacre, received $5200 for a significance assessment and training workshop in care and management of its collection of media clippings and other documents related to the Muslim community in Australia .
The Islamic Council of New South Wales is a community based organisation established in 1976 to meet the diverse religious and settlement needs of the state’s Muslim community.
Central Australian Aboriginal Media Association, Alice Springs, received $2000 for archival storage materials for the CAAMA collection which includes v ideos on cultural issues, recordings of Indigenous music from various outback communities, and radio broadcasts to outback Australia in English and in a variety of Indigenous languages .
Set up in 1979, CAAMA is an Aboriginal owned and controlled community based media organisation which actively promotes and preserves Indigenous culture and language.
Isolated Children’s Parents’ Association NT State Council Inc, Alice Springs , received $4950 for a significance assessment of its collection of newsletters, magazines, meeting minutes, conference reports, submissions and photographs much of which relates to ICPA’s input into government policy with regard to isolated children.
ICPA (Aust) is a voluntary national parent body dedicated to ensuring all geographically isolated students have equality with their non isolated peers of access to an appropriate education. The Northern Territory State Council of ICPA, formed in 1982 is part of the national body.
Corporation of the Diocesan Synod of North Queensland , Townsville, received $9000 for archival storage materials and conservation treatment of its collection of g lass lantern slides relating to the Goongange Tribe at Yarrabah and Palm Island Missions dating back to 1897.
The corporation commenced in 1871 to serve the Anglican diocese in a vast area stretching from Mackay in the south, north to Thursday Island and west to Mount Isa.
Yeppoon RSL Military Museum received $4000 for a preservation survey of its archives including letters, postcards, identification documents, maps, photographs and paintings.
Begun in the 1950s, the Yeppoon RSL Military Museum is a collection of memorabilia and weapons of wars and conflicts in which Australia has been involved.
Labour History Queensland (LHQ), Nathan, received $6000 for a training workshop in assessing the significance and preservation needs of the Trade Unions Records in Queensland . The two day workshop will include representatives from each of the affiliated 16 unions and LHQ.
All the unions and the LHQ hold nationally significant collections comprising minute books, correspondence, union newspapers, banners, photo collections, badges and memorabilia.
Centre for Multicultural Pastoral Care, Paddington, received $5500 for a significance assessment and preservation survey of its post-war Catholic immigration history collection including policy papers, minutes, newspaper cuttings, scrapbooks and photographs relating to immigrants, refugees and asylum seekers.
The Centre was established in 1949 to provide pastoral care for post WWI immigrants from traditionally Catholic countries.
Capricorn Coast Historical Society received $2750 for archival storage materials. The CCHS has collections relating to the historic Atherton, Rattenbury, Medew and Walls families, as well as the 1890s Rutherford Armstrong photographic collection and the Noon film collection.
Re-formed in 1986, the Capricorn Coast Historical Society collects, preserves, makes accessible and displays objects, photographs, memorabilia and documentary materials of significance to the history of the Capricorn Coast region.
St Andrew’s Uniting Church Heritage Committee, Brisbane, received $3000 for a preservation survey of its collection of church records, photographs, and art objects.
St Andrew's Uniting Church Heritage Committee was formed in 2000 to organise materials relating to the history of the Presbyterian and Congregational Churches in Brisbane dating back to the 1850s.
Caboolture Shire Library Service received $3000 for a significance assessment and training workshop aimed at developing a uniform strategy for collecting culturally significant resources in the Caboolture Shire.
Famous residents of the Shire have included the Bancroft family, who conducted research into tropical diseases, James Malcolm Newman, O.B.E., and Dr Harold Ingeman Jensen, who became Director of Mines and Chief Government geologist for the Northern Territory .
Cairns & District Chinese Association ( CADCAI) received $8250 for a significance assessment and preservation survey of the artefacts of the Lit Sung Goong Temple Collection which includes an ornately decorated altar, temple seals, ritual vessels, fortune telling sticks, swords, shields, paintings, musical instruments and furniture.
Formed in 1978, CADCAI supports and promotes Chinese culture and heritage in Cairns and region.
Mackay City Council – Greenmount Homestead, received $7000 for archival storage materials.
Greenmount Homestead was gifted to the City of Mackay in 1983, following the death of Tom Cook. The collection consists of approximately 12000 documents and books, 5500 photographs, 4300 household and furniture items and 220 pieces of machinery and vehicles spanning from 1862 to 1975.
‘Polonia’ Polish Association in Queensland Inc, Milton, received $5500 for a significance assessment and preservation survey of its collection including records of meetings, correspondence, diaries, posters, photographs of early migrant families and albums of the founders of The Polish Youth Club.
Formed in 1913, the Polish Association in Queensland ’s main objectives were self-help for Polish refugees in settling in the new country, and the preservation of the language and traditions of their forefathers.
Gold Coast City Art Gallery received $8900 for preservation material and archival storage materials in relation to the Gallery’s paper based collection comprising material of significance to the local region and the wider Australian scene. The collection houses landscape works of the local area by such artists as Fred Williams, William Robinson, Albert Tucker and William Bustard.
Gympie & District Historical Society Inc. received $3500 for a preservation survey of its collection relating to Gympie Gold Mining, Gympie Light Horse Regiment, Andrew Fisher MLA, Wide Bay Dairy Co-operative (largest dairy in Southern Hemisphere), Monkland Station, early sporting teams and local identifies.
The Society was formed in 1967 and developed the Gympie Gold Mining and Historical Museum on its present site with the original 'tank' building opened in 1971.
National Trust of South Australia Moonta Branch received $5000 for a preservation survey of its photographic collection covering the copper mining industry of Northern Yorke Peninsula with a specific emphasis on the Cornish Mining communities and work practices in the Moonta Mine, commonly regarded as the most successful mine in Australia between 1861-1920. The collection includes 4000 black and white images and 1500 coloured slides and prints.
West Torrens Historical Society, Marleston, received $6380 for archival storage materials for photos and documents relating to West Torrens ’ history including being the site of the earliest grape and wine production area in SA, the first wheat crop, of Colonel William Light’s Home and the first glass house growing in Australia .
The West Torrens Historical Society was founded in 1976.
National Trust of South Australia - Goolwa Museum received $3700 for a preservation survey of its collection relating to the establishment of shipping on the Murray-Darling River System.
The Museum was established to collect artefacts, documents and photographs relevant to Goolwa, Currency Creek and the Hindmarsh Island District.
Orroroo Historical Society received $2310 for reformatting and copying glass plate negatives to film stock and rehousing originals from the John McDougall Collection which is significant for its association with people, events, places and themes common to the Orroroo district during the period 1910 to 1925.
The Society was formed in 1990 to preserve the records of the Orroroo township and surrounding districts.
National Trust of South Australia - Burra Burra Branch received $6000 for a significance assessment and preservation survey of items covering a broad range of activities associated with the working, daily living and recreational aspects of miners and their families.
Formed in 1963, the Burra Burra Branch, along with the District Council is responsible for several historic properties including the Redruth Gaol, miners' dugouts, police lock-up, stables and police house in Burra North.
Royal Zoological Society of South Australia Inc, Adelaide , received $5500 for a significance assessment and preservation survey of its Historical Photograph Collection which date back to the late 1800s.
The Royal Zoological Society of South Australia Inc began its life as the South Australian Acclimatisation Society in 1878 with its aim encapsulated in the motto 'Docere et servare' - 'To teach and to preserve'.
Friends of Dingley Dell, Adelaide, received $6000 for a significance assessment and preservation survey of its collection records, artefacts, books, letters, diaries, photographs and negatives relating to Adam Lindsay Gordon dating back to the early 1800s.
The Friends’ collection is held at Adam Lindsay Gordon's cottage located at Port MacDonnell, South Australia .
United Trades and Labor Council (UTLC) received $3700 for archival storage materials for its collection which reflects the organisation’s history and operations of the past 120 years. The collection consists of posters, screen prints, pamphlets, banners, trophies, photographs and slides.
UTLC was established in 1884 as the peak body representing trade unions in South Australia .
Burnie City Council received $7000 for a significance assessment and preservation survey of the Pioneer Village Museum collections including the Fred Reid, Chalk, Winter and Emu Bay Railway Collections, as well as photographs and documents relating to Burnie Port , the AAPM paper mill and the Van Diemens Land Company.
Established in 1970, the Museum’s collections illustrate the history and culture of Tasmania ’s northwest coast.
Echuca Historical Society received $1320 for archival storage materials to rehouse and make more accessible documents, books and ledgers dating back to the 1850s relating to Echuca and district.
The Echuca Historical Society has been in operation since 1960s with a strong focus on recording the early settlement along the Murray River .
Jewish Holocaust Centre, Elsternwick , received $2500 for a significance assessment of its collection of documents, photographs, textiles and artefacts related to the Holocaust mostly from the period 1933-1950.
The Centre was established in 1984 by a group of Holocaust survivors, dedicated to preserving the memory of the Holocaust and educating visitors about the dangers of racism.
The Melbourne Athenaeum Inc. received $6600 for a preservation survey and archival storage materials of its collection including membership records, hall hire records, accounts and business records, quarterly lists of books, artefacts, artworks, deeds, leases and mortgages, photos and other memorabilia.
The Melbourne Athenaeum Inc. is the oldest public institution in Victoria , founded in 1839.
Berwick Mechanics Institute and Free Library received $3000 for a preservation survey of the collection which represents the local cultural life from early European settlement. In addition The Casey Collection provides a rare insight into the residential lives of Lord and Lady Casey and reflects their diverse careers on the world stage.
The Institute was founded in 1862 to help inform and educate local workers and residents of the area by way of lectures, debates and readings.
Melbourne Steam Traction Engine Club Inc received $5000 for a preservation survey of the collection of an extensive and diverse range of industrially obsolete but technically and historically significant machinery. The emphasis is on representing the evolution of power sources such as steam and internal combustion.
The Melbourne Steam Traction Engine club was founded in 1963 and operates the national Steam Centre in the Melbourne suburb of Scoresby.
Castlemaine Historical Society Inc received $3000 for a preservation survey of the collection which consists of original and copied material relating to the people, establishment and development of the Mount Alexander Goldfields from 1851 to the current day.
The Society was formed in 1965 to collect, study, record and promote the historical heritage of Castlemaine and district.
Kyneton Historical Society Inc received $3900 for a preservation survey of the collection and training workshops to instruct on basic museum management, conservation and handling of items.
The Kyneton Historical Society was founded in 1951, to collect, preserve and make available for research, records and artefacts, relating to the development of the town and its environs.
Tatura and District Historical Society received $8500 for archival storage materials and conservation treatments on items in the collection which includes documents and artefacts focussing on the Tatura District from white settlement to the present day.
Multicultural Sudanese Centre, Newport, received $2500 for a significance assessment of its collection of family history documents of people of the Sudan and the Horn of Africa communities who have mainly arrived recently in Australia . The collection includes photographs, certificates, letters, newspapers, memorabilia to conserve the community’s national heritage.
The Centre was formed in 2002.
The Flying Fruit Fly Circus, Wodonga, received $3300 for a significance assessment of its collection including photographs, slides, videos, posters, programs, costumes, banners, theatre props, memorabilia and circus equipment.
The Flying Fruit Fly Circus was formed in 1979 to promote and enhance the artistic and educational development of young people through high quality circus training, performance and cultural exchange.
Australian Polish Community Services Inc, Footscray, received $3000 for a preservation survey of its collection of documents relating to the establishment of the organisation and its activities.
APCS was established in 1983 to address the growing needs of the ageing Polish population in the Western Metropolitan Region of Victoria.
Melbourne’s Living Museum of the West Inc received $6750 for digitisation of audio and audio visual material.
Australia ’s first eco-museum, the Living Museum of the West focuses on Melbourne ’s western regions and includes oral history audiotapes, books, maps and a large photographic collection.
Puffing Billy Preservation Society Inc, Belgrave, received $3850 for a preservation survey of its collection and training of volunteers in approved methods of archive storage and handling.
The Puffing Billy Preservation Society was established in 1955, to preserve a representative line of the four Narrow Gauge (2'6") (762mm) lines opened by the Victorian Railways from 1898 to 1910 and which were closed due to economic failure by the 1950's.
Vision Australia received $3900 for a preservation survey of its of collection of documents many recording the most important milestones and developments in the history of blind and vision impaired Australia .
Vision Australia is the result of the merging in 2004 of the Royal Blind Society of NSW, the Royal Victorian Institute for the Blind and the Vision Australia Foundation.
Back to Back Theatre, Geelong , received $2700 for a significance assessment of its collection of approximately 3000 items including documentation of creative development processes, finished works, administrative processes and critical responses.
Formed in 1987, Back to Back is a professional theatre company driven by an ensemble with intellectual disabilities, and is recognised nationally and internationally as a leading exponent of disability and the arts.
YWCA Victoria, Melbourne, received $3,500 for a preservation survey of its collection which includes 1700 files boxes documenting the organisation's 123 years of services to women across Victoria .
YWCA Victoria is a non-profit community organisation, providing services to women, particularly the disadvantaged young.
Flagstaff Hill Maritime Museum, Warrnambool, received $4000 for archival storage materials for its collection relating to the maritime history of the south west of Victoria .
Opened in 1975, the Museum houses maritime artefacts, photographs, maps, charts, ledgers and documents including early lighthouse meteorological records, Customs Department records and Harbour Trust material.
Central Highlands Regional Library Corporation, Ballarat, received $5500 for a significance assessment and preservation survey of oral history tapes.
The oral history collection held at Ballarat Branch Library was created in the early 1980s. The oral history project was work experience for young people who interviewed approximately 200 subjects from Ballarat and district, aged at the time around 80 to 90 years. The tapes capture aspects of Australian life, attitudes and experience.
St John’s Anglican Church, Creswick, received $8600 for archival storage materials and bookbinding to preserve its archival collection including registers, minute books and other records of St John's Church Creswick and its associated churches.
St John's Church of England was established c.1855 to serve the major goldmining centre of Creswick, just north of Ballarat.
Armenian General Benevolent Union Vic Inc – Armenian Heritage Centre, Glen Waverley, received $2750 for a significance assessment of its collection which is derived almost exclusively from first and second generation immigrants of Armenian background.
The Union was formed to encourage, support, assist and carry out research into the Armenian community's culture and history and to educate the Australian community about Armenia .
Nobelius Heritage Park and Emerald Museum received $2400 for archival storage materials and training to preserve its collection based on early photographs, memorabilia, maps and documentation of Emerald and district.
Established in 1981, the Emerald Museum is a local history museum and archives operated by a voluntary committee appointed by Cardinia Shire Council.
Whitley College, Parkville, received $6600 for a preservation survey of its collections and conservation training for members of the Victorian Chapter of the Australian and New Zealand Theological Librarians Association.
Whitley College , formerly the Baptist Theological College of Victoria, was established in 1891 and was the first Baptist theological college in Australia .
Union of Australian Women (Victoria), Melbourne, received $8360 to implement the recommendations of a previous preservation survey, including the purchase of archival storage materials and conservation treatments of photographs recording 50 years of Union actions and campaigns .
The Union is a National Organisation formed in 1950. Until the women’s movement of the 1970s it was one of the few to work for the status and well being of women and children, lobbying on such issues as childcare and maternity leave.
Subiaco Museum received $2700 for a textile handling workshop and conservation treatment of a cashmere shawl woven at Paisley , Scotland in the 1850s and brought to Subiaco by the Monger family, early settlers in the area. The workshop will include staff and volunteers from the Subiaco Museum , Subiaco Medical Museum , Claremont Museum and Subiaco Library.
The Subiaco Museum was opened in 1975 to collect, preserve and display and make available for research items relating to the local history of Subiaco from the earliest habitation.
Broome Historical Society and Museum received $5700 for c onservation and disaster preparedness training. An important reflection of Australia ’s multicultural society, the collection includes pearling documents, photographs and diving suits.
The Broome Historical Society was formed in 1975 to collect, preserve and provide a place for objects relating to Broome and to foster research into the various aspects of Broome's history.
Leonora Gwalia Historical Museum Ltd (LGHM LTD ) received $6800 for a significance assessment and preservation survey of the collection which includes Australia 's largest steam winder engine, a restored steam train, Western Australia ’s first tramway from 1903, the ghost town of Gwalia, photographs, social artefacts and mining equipment dating from 1898 to 1963.
The LGHM Ltd was established as a community museum in 1972 on the original site of the Sons of Gwalia mine.
City of Armadale received $2600 for a preservation survey of the Birtwistle Local Studies Collection which includes oral histories, photographs, local government materials, newspapers and newsletters, community group records and maps.
Officially opened in 2003, the Birtwistle Local Studies Library is named in honour of Ivor T. Birtwistle, the first president of the Armadale - Kelmscott Historical Society.
Trustees of the Christian Brothers in Western Australian Inc received $6800 for archival storage materials to preserve documentation of the Christian Brothers’ activities in Western Australia and South Australia from 1878. The documented activities include child migration, agricultural schemes, educational institutions and refugee and Indigenous welfare support and education. The Trustees also administer a computerised index detailing the location of records held in Australia for former child migrants to Catholic Homes between 1938 and 1965.
Western Australian Cricket Association and Museum , East Perth, received $5500 for a significance assessment and preservation survey of the collection which includes significant items of the greats of cricket in Western Australia and Australia such as objects with direct links to the Victory Tests in England in 1945, the 'Bodyline' series of 1932-33 and the historic first Test March at the WACA in 1970.
Founded in 1885, the Association, through the WACA Museum , seeks to collect, preserve, document, store or display and interpret items that pertain to the history of Western Australian, Australian and International cricket and sport.
Warmun Art Centre, Turkey Creek via Kununurra, received $9000 for a significance assessment of its collection which includes paintings, woodcarvings and smaller cultural items made by the Gija community of Warmun, as well as works by leading first generation Warmun artists.
Warmun is a remote Aboriginal community located within the Gija language group boundary of the East Kimberley region of Western Australia . It services a fluctuating population of approximately 400 people, making it one of the biggest Aboriginal communities in Western Australia . The Art Centre is wholly owned and managed by the Warmun artists.