NSW Awarded Seventeen Federal Community Heritage Grants
9 November 2005
17 New South Wales community groups have been awarded a 2005 Federal Community Heritage Grant.
Announced by the Federal Minister for the Arts and Sport, Senator the Hon. Rod Kemp, at the National Library of Australia (Wednesday evening), the successful groups include the North Bondi Surf Life Saving Society, Royal Society of NSW, the Lithgow, Cowra, and Liverpool Plains Councils, the Moree Plains, New England, Hawkesbury, and New Italy Museums and Art Galleries, the Kuringai, Glen Innes and Millthorpe Historical Societies, as well as the Islamic Council of NSW, Goulburn’s Friends of St Clair and St Saviour’s Cathedral, Campbelltown City Library, the Chinese Nationalist Party, and Balmain’s St John the Evangelist Church.
A total of $377 865 was distributed to 76 groups from around Australia to assist in the identification and preservation of community owned but nationally significant heritage collections. In addition, recipients are attending a three-day intensive preservation and collection management workshop being held at the National Library of Australia, the National Archives, the National Museum of Australia and the National Film and Sound Archives in Canberra .
Senator Kemp said the Community Heritage Grants are very important in supporting the effort to preserve our national heritage at the grassroots.
“From Broome to Burnie the grants provide funds and expertise to ensure our national heritage is protected and accessible with the collections remaining in their local context.
“This year sees the Community Heritage Grants program come of age with a stronger emphasis on training, the inclusion of artefacts, and the participation of the National Museum . The program’s maturity and national significance as part of the government’s Strengthening Australian Arts commitment is recognised with a near doubling of grant funding and the raising of the grant ceiling to $10 000,” he said.
2005 is the 12th anniversary of the program. In that time 426 projects throughout Australia have received more than $1.6 million in funding and extensive training opportunities. The grant money is used for collection assessments, preservation surveys, conservation treatments, preservation training, digitisation, and purchasing quality storage material or environmental monitoring equipment.
Jan Fullerton AO, Director-General National Library of Australia , said the Community Heritage Grants demonstrate the commitment of the National Library and all the partner institutions to preserving our heritage, particularly through training.
“It’s about our national institutions coming together to share their expertise which is then taken back to communities throughout Australia . This skills transfer aims to have heritage collections remain in the community and available for the pleasure and research interests of future generations of Australians,” she said.
The Community Heritage Grants Program is managed by the National Library of Australia. It is funded by the Australian Government through the Department of Communications, Information Technology and the Arts, the National Archives of Australia, the Australian Film Commission, the National Museum of Australia and the National Library of Australia.
Director Communications and Marketing
Telephone: 02 6262 1353 or 0411 753 891
Communications and Marketing
Mobile: 0417 491 139
New South Wales
Council of the City of Lithgow received $4465 for a preservation survey and archival storage materials Eskbank House & Museum collection which has more than 2000 pieces produced or associated with the Lithgow Valley Pottery, Lithgow N.S.W, a Suttons Crazy Patchwork Quilt dating from 1893, the Lithgow Woollen Mills Collection, the Sir Joseph Cook collection, the Eskbank Ironworks Blast Furnace Collection, a fully restored Hansom cab, wooden sulkies (c.1900), and some fifteen hundred pieces donated by the community of Lithgow.
Eskbank House was donated to the people of Lithgow by Eric Bracey in 1966.
North Bondi Surf Life Saving Society Inc received $5500 for a significance assessment and preservation survey of the North Bondi Surf LifeSaving Club collection.
Material held dates back to the inception of the Club in 1906 and of Surf LifeSaving including original photos of Club members, bronze medallions, carnival pennants,certificates of merit; minute books starting from 1920 and swimming costumes from 1940s onwards.
Kuringai Historical Society Inc received $7370 for a t raining workshop for volunteers and archival storage materials for i ts collection of more than 3000 photographs. The photographs, some of which date back to 1860, include works by Harold Cazneaux as well as rare images of the construction of the Sydney Harbour Bridge .
The training workshop will aim to develop the Society’s volunteers' knowledge of the principles of preserving paper based records and in the administrative processes and management guidelines adopted by the Society to implement the recommendations of the Preservation Survey which was funded under the 2004 Community Heritage Grants.
Cowra Shire Council received $5800 for a preservation survey and archival storage materials for the Pardey Collection.
The Collection comprises an estimated 80000 negatives including approximately 500 glass plate negatives accumulated by studio photographer George Pardey and retained by successive owners of his business. The negatives record the social history of Cowra and district from the late 1880s to the 1960s, including a record of post war immigrants, a comprehensive account of the Cowra POW Breakout and construction of Wyangala Dam.
The Cathedral Parish of St Saviour, Goulburn, received $3000 for a significance assessment of the Cathedral collection of textiles including vestments, a centenary tapestry, a woven wall hanging, 393 kneelers and 8 cushions as well as paintings, photographs, wood carvings, processional crosses, candlesticks, carved furniture, and a crucifix carved by Edmund Blacket, who designed the Cathedral in the 1870s.
The Cathedral Parish of St Saviour is part of the Anglican Diocese of Canberra and Goulburn.
The Chinese Nationalist Party of Australasia (Kuomintang, KMT), Haymarket, received $6930 for significance and preservation needs assessments of its collection of archival records, photos, films and artefacts.
The collection is viewed as one of the most important collections in Australia of archives, in Chinese, and artefacts of Chinese Australian history. It includes documents relating to KMT branches in Australasia and the Pacific Islands (1920-1950), KMT Publications from China/Taiwan (1930-1980), photographs covering KMT personalities and events throughout Oceania (1920-1990), two original hanging scrolls in the handwriting of KMT founder Sun Yatsen and films imported from Taiwan and screened between 1950-1980.
Liverpool Plains Shire Council received $3500 for a p reservation survey of the Rail Journeys Museum collection relating to the social history of railways Australia-wide.
The collection has more than 2000 objects pertaining to railways and railway trades across Australia . There are significant publications from the NSW Railway Institute, the social hub of every railway employee, operations and safety manuals and railway records of staff employment, seniority and grades. More than 600 photographs spanning the past two centuries combined with personal and staff histories and items relating to wheat handling by rail, create a comprehensive picture of rail systems and the people who worked on them across Australia .
Hawkesbury Museum and Tourist Centre received $4400 for a p reservation survey of and archival storage materials to rehouse its collection with connections to early pioneering history and settlement of Australia and links to nationally significant individuals and themes.
The collection comprises more than 5000 items relating to Aboriginal heritage, early pioneer settlement, the development of the Hawkesbury region, as well as objects from the local RAAF.
Royal Society of New South Wales , University of Sydney , received $5500 for significance and preservation surveys of the Society’s document collection dating back to its inception as the Philosophical Society of Australia in 1821, the first scientific society in Australia .
There are many first editions and journals unique to Australian scientific, exploration and social history. Included are original Lawrence Hargrave drawings and photographs and works by Charles Darwin and Louis Pasteur.
Campbelltown City Library received $3000 for a p reservation survey of the Campbelltown local studies collection which aims to provide information of historic, social and research value.
The Council's collections have been used by both undergraduate and postgraduate researchers, investigating such diverse issues as work for the dole schemes during the Great Depression, and the water conservation projects of the convict built Cattle Tank/Water Race and the dams of Thomas Rose at Mount Gilead .
New England Regional Art Museum, Armidale, received $8300 for c onservation treatments and equipment following infestations of pests including booklice.
The Museum houses the Howard Hinton Collection, the Chandler Coventry Collection, and the Armidale City Collection. In total there are more than 5000 works in the collection of paintings, works on paper, sculptures, textiles and indigenous objects.
Glen Innes and District Historical Society received $4180 for archival storage materials to assist in the preservation of its collection which comprises approximately 10000 objects, 350000 archival records and more than 6000 photographs.
The Historical Society was formed in 1968 for the collection, documentation, preservation, storage and dissemination of the history of Glen Innes and District. The Society manages The Land of the Beardies History House Museum and Archive Centre.
New Italy Museum, Woodburn, received $6600 for a s ignificance assessment and a preservation survey of its collection which includes early farm equipment, horse carts and drays, wine making equipment paintings, letters, journals and household goods.
New Italy Museum Inc was founded in 1961 to establish a memorial and museum complex as a tribute to the courage and strength of Italian immigrants who in the 1880s settled in the Woodburn region, the first area of Italian settlement in regional Australia .
Anglican Church of St John the Evangelist, Balmain North, received $3300 for a preservation survey of St John's photographic archive and heritage register. The collection comprises photographs and historical parish registers, accounts books, and minutes books dating back to 1882 when the church was built.
Friends of St Clair, Goulburn, received $5500 for a significance assessment and preservation survey of the collection based at St Clair cottage.
The collection comprises items dating back to the early 1800s and consists of items portraying everyday life including furniture, bric-a-brac, clothing, landscapes and portraits. Archive items include hundred of original photographs, glass negatives and slides dating from the early 1800s.
Millthorpe & District Historical Society Inc received $6000 for a significance assessment and preservation survey of the collection housed in the Golden Memories Museum .
The social history resources include the J.H.A. Lister collection, which marks the discovery of the first payable gold, by Lister and the brother Tom in 1851. The Sixth Light Horse Regiment Millthorpe Troop is described through photographs, medals and tokens, ephemera, uniform accessories and personal equipment.
Moree Plains Gallery received $9000 for a design for a Kamilaroi Keeping Place attached to the Gallery. The Keeping Place (similar to a rotunda) will contain steel, timber and glass safe-boxes for display and storage of some 200 Kamilaroi artefacts, weapons, tools and carved stones for at least a 200-year period.
The Gallery aims to promote and enrich the cultural life of the community through the display of significant works of art, while supporting the work of contemporary Australian artists, especially Aboriginal artists.
Islamic Council of NSW, Greenacre, received $5200 for a significance assessment and training workshop in care and management of its collection of media clippings and other documents related to the Muslim community in Australia .
The Islamic Council of New South Wales is a community based organisation established in 1976 to meet the diverse religious and settlement needs of the state’s Muslim community.