To learn more about starting your family history research watch this short online video
The Library's collections offer a wealth of resources to the Australian family historian.
You will find frequently used family history material on microfiche and microfilm in a special area of the Newspapers and Microforms Reading Room. Check our guide to Family history sources in the Newspapers and Microforms Reading Room to see what we hold.
Many family history sources are available electronically. Check eResources for titles or browse Genealogy in eResources. You can find bookmarked free websites, networked family history CDs and subscription services. You will need to come to the Library's reading rooms to use some of these.
The Library provides free access in its reading rooms to:
- Ancestry (Library Edition)
- Origins Network
You can search the Library's catalogue for topics related to family history, such as published family histories, local histories, military histories and diaries, ship information and biography.
Staff can help you locate resources and use the microform equipment, but cannot do extensive or ongoing genealogical, historical or other research for you.
Frequently asked family history questions:
- How can the National Library of Australia help with my family history research?
- Where can I find information about Indigenous Australians?
- How can I get an Australian birth, death, or marriage certificate?
- How can I get a birth, death or marriage certificate from England?
- Where can I find Australian Electoral Rolls?
- Where can I find Australian cemetery records?
- Where can I find military records?
Major resources in the collection:
- Australian birth, marriage and death records
- General Register Office: indexes to English and Welsh births, deaths, marriages
- Australian electoral rolls
- Records relating to Convict Transportation
- Ship and passenger records
- Australian Joint Copying Project (British government records relating to the Australian colonies)
- The Griffith Valuation and index to the Tithe Applotment books (Ireland)
- Indexes to Inquests and Probate records
- Australian censuses and musters
- Australian cemetery records
- Australian parish records on microfilm (SAG collection)
- Newspapers and Newspaper indexes
- Post office directories
- Biography: research guide
Material relating to your family history may be found in other parts of the Library's collections such as: