The Maps Reading Room (Lower ground floor one) provides access to the Library's collection of over 600,000 maps, including examples of early European prints, atlases and globes. Over 1,000,000 aerial photographs of Australia, Papua New Guinea and Antarctica are also available. The collection also includes an extensive range of maps and charts tracking Australian exploration, settlement and land use, and modern mapping for most countries with particular strengths in Southeast Asia and the Pacific.
In the Maps Reading Room visitors will also find:
- indexes to maps in series
- several stereoscopes to view aerial photographs
- flight diagrams to Australian aerial photographs
- street directories, atlases, gazetteers and reference material on open access
- digital spatial data online, on CD-ROM and DVD.
After hours access to the Maps Collection may be possible through the Petherick Reading Room by prior arrangement.