Note: Building works are now underway on the ground floor to create a new Newspapers and Family History zone within an expanded Main Reading Room. The new service will open in early May 2015 and will have the same opening hours as the Main Reading Room. The newspapers, microforms collections, micrographics scanning equipment and family history resources currently housed in the Newspapers and Microforms Reading Room on the Lower Ground floor will move up to the new Newspapers and Family History zone. The renovated facilities also include two bookable rooms for collaborative work.
Until May 2015 the current Newspapers and Microforms Reading Room on Lower Ground Floor 1 will continue to provide access to our Newspaper and Microform Collections and to resources for researching family history.
The Newspapers and Microforms Reading Room provides you with:
- recent issues of Australian and international newspapers
- historical newspapers, journals, government records and manuscripts on microform
- family history resources including current and historical electoral rolls
- passes to the Controlled Access Stack for government papers
- eResources including full-text newspapers and family history databases
- microform reader/scanners
- computers with large screens and trackball mouse.
Until May 2015 after hours access to the Newspaper and Microforms Collection may be possible through the Main Reading Room by prior arrangement.
NB: For reasons of preservation, access to microform copies is preferred to print unless absolutely necessary.