The Library holds a large collection of material relating to Australian politics and government. This guide contains selected print works only.
For information on how to access Commonwealth and State electoral rolls at the Library, see Australian Electoral Rolls: Print Resources at the National Library of Australia . For Acts, Hansards, Gazettes and Parliamentary Papers, see GovPubs: the Australian Government Publications Guide.
Catalogue Search Tips
To find general information on Australian politics first try a Browse subjects search such as:
To find information on Australian political parties, use Browse subjects options such as:
To find information about Australian federal elections, select the Browse subjects option and enter terms such as those found below, including the year of the election if known.
- Elections Australia
- Australia Parliament Elections 2004
- Australian Democrats Platforms
- Campaign Literature Australia
Items related to special interest groups in Australian society are found using Browse subjects searches such as:
Available on open access in the Main Reading Room, unless otherwise stated. Some of these publications have changed title over the years and each new title has its own record in the catalogue. See the Former Title section of the catalogue record.
- Parliamentary handbook of the Commonwealth of Australia 1901+
- Information on the parliament, biographical details of parliamentarians, election information and historical statistics. RF 328.94 AUS
- A Handbook of Australian Government and Politics 1890-1964, + 1965-1974, 1975-1984 and 1985-1999 supplements.
- Contains cabinet and portfolio lists, summaries of election legislation for the Commonwealth since 1900 and State governments since the 19th century and election statistics (party votes received, seats contested, seats won). RF 320.994 H893
- Australian Political Facts 1997
- Facts related to government, parties, elections, public opinion polls, media, religion, defence & the armed forces, justice, the public service and international relations. RF 320.994 M114
- The Biographical Dictionary of the Australian Senate 2000+
- Biographical account of senators and history of the Senate. Entries are arranged according to the state each senator represented. RF 328.94092 B615
- House of Representatives Practice 2005.
- Explanation of the laws and practices of the House of Representatives including: roles of office holders, the parliamentary calendar, motions, legislation, Senate amendments, questions and committees etc. RF 328.9405 H842
- Odgers’ Australian Senate Practice 1953+
- Explanation of the laws and practices of the Senate including: its constitutional role, parliamentary privilege, elections, officers, motions and amendments, debate, legislation, committees and relations with the Executive Government and the judiciary. NLq 328.9405 ODG
- Federation: the Guide to Records 1998
- List of the collections of over 60 archives, libraries, museums and galleries that hold Federation material. Includes chronology and select bibliography. RF 320.994032 F293
- Commonwealth of Australia: 1901-1988 Electoral Redistributions 1989
- First consolidated cartographic record of redistributions. Produced as a Bicentennial project by the Australian Electoral Commission and the Australian Surveying and Land Information Group. In the Main Reading Room maps cabinet. RFef 328.9407345 C734
- Australian Opinion Polls 1941-1990: an Index 1993
- Contains a subject list of polls and where they were published. (Request through the catalogue)
- Australian Federal Elections Campaign Ephemera
- Materials issued by parties, candidates and lobby groups associated with all federal elections since 1901. Includes how-to-vote cards, constituent reports, press releases, policy speeches, advertising material, posters and voting forms. Some items have been digitised. (Request through the catalogue)
Ministerial document service : daily collation of Ministers' and Opposition Leaders' statements 1976-2001
A daily collation of press statements by Federal Government ministers and the leaders of opposition parties. Includes press releases, speeches, grants made, major contracts let and appointments of government agencies. (Request through the catalogue)
Subject Clippings Files
From 1960 until 1992 the Library maintained subject clipping files containing articles from major Australian metropolitan newspapers. A printed subject index to the files is available at the Information Desk in the Newspapers and Microforms Reading Room. Request through the catalogue.
Subject headings for clippings files include:
- Australian Labor Party Platforms
- Liberal Party Platforms
- National Party of Australia Platforms
- Democratic Labor Party
- Liberal National Country Party Coalition
- Parliament Senate Elections
- Parliament House of Representatives Elections