Government Gazettes: Tasmania
What Tasmanian gazettes can you find online?
The Tasmanian Government's website has a searchable database of current Tasmanian Government Gazette notices. Search or browse the gazette from 2008 to the present.
Tasmanian papers included in Trove are:
- The Hobart Town Gazette and Southern Reporter (1816-1821),
- Hobart Town Gazette and Van Diemen’s Land Advertiser (1821-1825),
- Hobart Town Gazette (1825-1827)
Where can you find Tasmania Government Gazettes in print?
Use the Australian Government Publications Guide, GovPubs, to help locate Tasmanian gazettes in Australian libraries.
- Select the link which shows the date you need
- Select the link for the library you are using ('NLA' for the National Library of Australia)
- Use the 'Amicus Number' or call number from this record to find it in the Catalogue.
Historic land ownership
I have a letter dated 26 July 1858 from the Surveyor General's Office, relating to permission being granted to Pensioner O'Neil for him to select ten acres of Lot 135, 15 acres, 2 roods and 31 perches in the parish of Bagot, and the opportunity to bid for the remainder at auction in the Court House on 12 August. Can I find out the exact location of the land?
With the information that an auction was held on 12 August, 1858, we can search the Hobart Town Gazette. The Tuesday, August 10, 1858 gazette provides listings of lands for sale in the 'Sale of Crown Lands' section:
County of Buckingham. Vicinity of Port Cygnet. Parish of Bagot. Near Gardner's Creek
Lot 635. 15A. 2R. 31P.
Fronting upon a roadway, and bounded by Pensioner O'Neil's Allotment, by Lot 636 and crown land. Upset price 11/.