What Victorian gazettes can you find online?
The Victoria Government Gazette from 16 January 1998 can be accessed online. The gazette is published in three series:
- General (uses the prefix G, published weekly)
- Periodical (uses the prefix P, lengthy non-urgent notices, irregular)
- Special (uses the prefix S, irregular).
To view gazettes from 1998 onwards, select Gazette Archives, and use the drop-down list to find the date you need.
The online archive of the Victoria Government Gazettes cover 1836 to 1997 only. This database contains images of every relevant page in the Victoria Government Gazette produced since 1836, as well as searchable indexes for each publication.
Please note: No copies are known to exist for the period 19 July-December 1843. Gazette information for this period may be in The Port Phillip Herald newspaper under the 'Melbourne Government Gazette' column.
Where can you find Victorian Gazettes in print?
Use the Australian Government Publications Guide, GovPubs, to help locate Victorian gazettes in Australian libraries.
- Select the link which shows the date you need
- Select the link for the library you are using ('NLA' for the National Library of Australia)
- Use the 'Amicus Number' or call number you need to find it in the Catalogue.
A town's early history
I am compiling a book on the early history of Haven. Where can I find information about the very early years of Horsham Common (including how it was created) before 1910?