A large range of current and historic newspapers in digital format can be directly accessed online and via eResources.
Some of our subscription resources can be accessed from home or work by Australian residents who are registered readers of the Library. These resources can be identified by the use of the 'key' symbol and include:
- Factiva database gives you full-text coverage of Australian and overseas newspapers from approximately the late 1980s to the present. Coverage of individual publications varies.
- Library PressDisplay provides access to over 1000 newspapers in 40 languages from more than 80 countries. Coverage is provided for one year only.
- Gale NewsVault allows you to cross-search across the Times Digital Archive, the 17th and 18th Century Burney Collection, the Financial Times Historical Archive, the 19th Century British Library Newspapers, the 19th Century UK Periodicals, and the Illustrated London News Historical Archive.
- Fairfax online archive News Store is freely available online. Coverage goes back to approximately 1986. Some Fairfax titles are not available via the archive including the Australian Financial Review, BRW and BOSS.
- Sydney Morning Herald Archives 1955-1995 provides full-text coverage to every edition of the Sydney Morning Herald and The Sun-Herald between January 1st, 1955 and February 2nd, 1995. The Archives are available onsite in the National Library building only.
There are also some databases that you can only access at the Library.
Please visit our eResources page for more information and to view the full list of available databases.
Does your local library have what you're looking for?
Check to see if your local public or state library has what you want. Select your closest library to register and browse their available eResources.