Statistics: Other topics
How do you find statistics in the Library?
Start with the Catalogue; use the 'Browse alphabetically' tab and find 'subject' in the drop down list. Type in your keywords.
- Criminal statistics New South Wales
- Economic indicators-Australia
- Education Queensland-statistics
- Public health-South Australia-statistics
Use the right column on the results page to narrow your search, for example by decade, publisher or Australian state.
Some useful links:
Industry Statistics from the Australian Publishers Association; a general introduction on how to find book sales statistics
- Book Retailers, Australia ceased in 2004
- Book Publishers, Australia ceased in 2004; A useful overview of the publishing industry
Nielsen BookScan Australia, Australia’s leading book sales data monitor. Only subscribers can access this data online. A list of the current month's top ten titles is freely available from the website.
Bookseller and Publisher magazine publishes weekly bestseller lists sourced from Nielsen BookScan.
Market research reports and market sector statistics are generally only available from market research companies such as IBISWorld. Reports can be quite expensive to purchase, but they are very comprehensive.
If you're planning to start a new business or create a submission you may find the following Government websites useful:
- Australian Bureau of Statistics, services for small business
- business.gov.au, including Market research in your state or territory
Opinion polls may be useful in market research. Try:
- Factiva - under 'Subject', choose 'Content Types', then 'Statistics' and/or 'Survey/Poll'. Then run your search.
- AC Neilsen - reports may be downloaded or purchased
- Roy Morgan - browse under 'Papers' or use the search field for polls
Some industry bodies also supply market sector information and statistics to members.