United States Congressional publications and information
The National Library receives major U.S. government documents including annual reports, serials and Congressional publications. These documents are collectively known as the SUDOC (U.S. Superintendent of Documents) Collection.
This guide provides information on how to access this large collection, the majority of which is received in microfiche format. Microfiche material can be collected from the Newspapers and Microforms Reading Room.
The Library of Congress has produced a comprehensive online guide to the U.S. Congress called THOMAS.
The U.S. Government Printing Office website Federal Digital System (FDsys) provides links to Congressional publications.
The U.S. Reference Service provides reference and referral services for Australians on U.S. policy and federal legislation. It has offices in Canberra and Sydney.
News and information on the Congress
- CQ Weekly (Congressional quarterly weekly). Each year these issues have been consolidated to produce the CQ Almanac Plus and the CQ Almanac. The latest is held in the Main Reading Room Reference Collection: S 328.73 CON
- Resources for Legislative Researchers - News Services
Links to The Congressional Quarterly, The Hill, FedNet (Federal Network, Inc.), C-SPAN (Cable Satellite Public Affairs Network) and All-Politics (CNN, Time).
Directories and guides
- Office of the Clerk - House of Representatives Directories
- United States Senate - Senate Directories
- Congressional Staff Directory - Browse in the Controlled Access Collection (Pass available from Newspapers Reading Room)
- Congressional Quarterly's Washington Information Directory
- Congress A-Z: A ready reference encyclopedia
- Encyclopedia of the United States Congress 4 vols. RF 328.73003 E56 (Main Reading Room Reference Collection)
- Biographical Directory of the American Congress 1774-1996. Also available online.
- Official Congressional Directory. From 1888. Online access or Browse in the Controlled Access Collection (Pass available from Newspapers Reading Room)
- Hardy, Gayle J. Subject guide to U.S. government reference sources 2nd ed. Englewood, Colo. :Libraries Unlimited,1996
- Herman, Edward Locating United States government information : a guide to sources Second edition. Buffalo, N.Y. :W.S. Hein,1997
- Monthly catalog of United States government publications Washington, DC :Cataloging Branch, Library Division, Library Programs Service, Superintendent of Documents. Also available online.
- Morehead, Joe Introduction to United States government information sources Fifth edition. Englewood, Colo. :Libraries Unlimited,1996
- Stubbs, Walter Congressional committees, 1789-1982 : a checklist compiled by Walter Stubbs Westport, Conn. :Greenwood Press,1985