The Library welcomes offers of published and original material to enhance our historical and research collections.
What materials are we interested in acquiring?
We are interested in a wide range of research materials in all formats, including:
- Unpublished personal and organisational records
- Books and pamphlets
- Magazines and newspapers
- Photographs and artworks
- Sheet music, sound recordings and oral history interviews
- Digital publications
- Ephemeral material such as advertising posters and theatre programs
If you have material which you think may be of interest to the Library, we will be happy to advise you about the best and most appropriate home for it.
Please contact the Library prior to sending or delivering any material offered for consideration.
For offers of published material please contact the relevant collection area.
- Printed Australiana
- Sheet music
- Electronic publications
- Asian language publications
- Overseas publications
For offers of unpublished original material such as artworks, photographs, maps, oral history recordings, letters, digital files or other archival records please contact the relevant collection area below.
Cultural Gifts Program and tax incentives
Some donations of culturally significant items are eligible as a tax deduction for the market value of the gift under the Australian Government’s Cultural Gifts Program.
FAQs in the spotlight
- Can the Library value an item for me?
- How to care for personal and family archives
- Copyright in Library items