Main Reading Room opening hours
|Monday to Thursday||9 am to 9 pm|
|Friday and Saturday*||9 am to 5 pm|
|Sunday*||1:30 pm to 5 pm|
* No collection deliveries on Saturday or Sunday
The Library building is closed on Good Friday and Christmas Day.
Full Public Holiday opening hours.
We're building you a better Library. Find out more about our current building works.
Getting to the Library
The National Library is located on Parkes Place, in Canberra's Parliamentary triangle
- For children and families
- For teachers and students
- Planning your school visit
- School materials and resources
- School programs and guided tours
- Treasure Explorer
Exhibitions and tours
- Treasures Gallery
- Luminous World: Contemporary Art from the Wesfarmers Collection
- Public Library tours
- Past exhibitions
bookplate and paperplate cafes
Our bookplate cafe is situated in the Library's marble foyer, surrounded by the famous Leonard French stained glass windows
Open daily 9am - 5pm
Closed Good Friday and Christmas Day
Phone: +61 (0)2 6262 1424
Facilities at the National Library available for hire include the theatre, conference room, foyer and staff reading rooms.
Facilities for visitors
The library provides a number of services when you visit us. Read about what we have to offer