Our rich and varied Pictures collection focuses on Australian people, places and events, from European exploration of the South Pacific to contemporary events.
Our rich and varied Pictures collection focuses on Australian people, places and events, from European exploration of the South Pacific to contemporary events. Art works and photographs are acquired primarily for their informational value, and for their importance as historical documents.
Media represented in the collection include photographs, drawings, watercolours, oils, lithographs, engravings, etchings and sculpture/busts. A strength of the collection is the period from 1800-1920 which is particularly well represented.
Explore our Pictures collection by viewing the highlights below:
- Ducie collection of First Fleet art - Australian flora and fauna water colours by First Fleet artist George Raper (1788)
- Ellis Rowan and Australian flora and fauna - beautiful botanical watercolours painted in the late 19th and early 20th century.
- Jeff Carter collection - photographs of 20th century Australia and Australians
- Peter Dombrovskis collection - photographic collection of the Tasmanian wilderness
- Buckland collection - a collection of photographs, papers and memorabilia relating to railways