CHG supports projects including:
- significance assessments of collections
- preservation needs assessments of collections
- conservation activities and collection management, and
- training workshops.
Funding priority will be given to projects that are being carried out in a logical order prioritised as follows:
Step 1. Significance assessments
Step 2. Preservation needs assessments
Step 3. Conservation activities and collection management - resulting from the prioritised recommendations of a preservation needs assessment, such as:
- Rehousing collections in suitable storage
- Conservation activities, including cleaning, conservation treatment or rebinding
- Purchase and installation of environmental control and/or monitoring equipment
- Reformatting of original material for preservation and access purposes and ongoing planning for the collection’s maintenance (includes audiovisual and digitisation projects)
It is strongly recommended that collections are catalogued before applying for a significance assessment. As such, applications may wish to consider an application for cataloguing or collection management software first. Organisations may also apply for funding for training projects irrespective of whether significance or preservation needs assessments have been conducted.
All allocations of grants are based on the recommendations of assessors and availability of funds. No applicant can be guaranteed funding nor can any applicant be guaranteed funding to the full amount requested. Funding may vary from year to year and it is not possible to fund all worthwhile projects.