Applications now closed for year 2016-17
Applications for the 2016-17 Japan Study Grant program are now closed.
The results for this round will be announced by the end of November, the latest.
The purpose of the grants is to support research by scholars based outside the Canberra area who wish to use the National Library's Japanese collections for their study. Applicants must be resident in Australia.
Information for future applicants and referees
Japan Study Grants are open to postgraduates, honours students, academic staff or independent researchers in Australia who wish to use the Japan-related collections of the National Library for their research.
Japan Study Grants are offered for periods of up to four weeks and support travel to Canberra and livings costs. Grants are not available to those living in the Australian Capital Territory or Queanbeyan.
Grant holders will receive an honorarium to cover accommodation and living costs in Canberra, together with a return economy class air fare for travel between the grant holder's home within Australia to Canberra. They will be provided with a desk in the Asian Collections reading room, access to the book stacks and scanner, printer and photo copier. Free interlibrary loans can also be arranged for some titles crucial to the research, although grant holders are expected to use mainly the Library’s collections. International travel will not be funded.
Applicants must be resident in Australia (Australian citizenship is not mandatory).
Grant holders are required to:
- Spend at least 75% of their time at the Library
- Provide a brief report on their Grants experience, particularly on the collection and services of the Library and how it helped the progress of your research, or of any points of further improvement in the services
- Acknowledge the support of the National Library in forums, presentations and publications resulting from the Grant scheme
- Assist the Library to promote the Study Grants through media and public communications
Dates for applications for year 2017-18: open in early July - close on 30 September 2016
The principal selection criteria are:
- Academic record of the applicant as shown in application
- Referee reports
Priority consideration will be given to candidates:
- who are based in centres where there are few or no library resources in the Japanese language
- who can demonstrate a need to use the Library's Japanese or Japan-related collections for their research.
- whose proposed study is best able to be supported by the National Library's Japanese and Japan-related collections
For further information, contact
Head, Japanese Collections
National Library of Australia
Canberra ACT 2600
Phone: +61 2 6262 1615