The Australia'sCommunity Heritage website is a place where individuals and groups can share information and stories about Australia’s heritage. The purpose of the website is to encourage the collection and sharing of information, stories and anecdotes related to people, places and events that have contributed to Australia’s heritage.
Collections Australia Network (CAN) is an online service providing public access, professional development resources and links to more than 1,500 galleries, libraries, archives and museums. Find institutions and their collections throughout Australia using the CAN collections database. Consult Sector information for publications, and subscribe to some very useful discussion lists such as CAN Talk.
Collections Council Australia served as the peak body for the Australian collections sector from 2005 to 2010. Explore its Resources pages, and the Conservation/Preservation Showcase. See also National Standards for Australian Museums and Galleries.
Australian Heritage Directory , Department of Environment, covers a wide range of heritage-related Commonwealth and state government agencies & non-government organisations, funding for heritage, laws, databases & lists, and key resources.
The Australian Institute for the Conservation of Cultural Materials (AICCM) website contains information on salvaging collection items damaged in a disaster.
Contact the following for conservation / preservation advice.
- Australian War Memorial - look into research and family history, education, events and exhibitions, and a Conservation Section.
- National Archives of Australia - get advice on Records management, Digitisation and copying, and check Publications for a wealth of archive information.
- National Film and Sound Archive - find out about the latest audiovisual preservation techniques in the Preservation Section.
- National Gallery of Australia - get advice from the Conservation Department on all things art.
- National Library of Australia - browse the website for Preservation, Digitisation, Digital Preservation, Newspaper digitisation and access online collections, archives and directories.
- National Museum of Australia - find out about exhibitions, research, education, collections and materials conservation.
- Digital NZ's one-stop shop for questions about creating digital content in New Zealand. Here you can ask questions about creating digital content and learn about digitisation good practice from the Make it Digital Guides.
Most major state and territory museums, art galleries, archives, and state libraries also offer conservation / preservation advice.
- Australian Institute for Conservation of Cultural Materials (AICCM) - look for a Conservator in the List of Conservators (AICCM members in private practice).
- Australian Council of Professional Historians Associations Inc (ACPHA) - look for a Significance Assessor in the Consultants Register.
- Australian Library and Information Association
- Australian Society of Archivists - browse the extensive Directory of Archives in Australia on the Resources page.
- Museums Australia
- Oral History Association of Australia - access Guidelines of Ethical Practice, Links, and Directory of Collections.
The following suppliers provide a range of archival products. The National Library of Australia does not endorse them or accept responsibility for the quality of their products.
- Albox Australia, Kent Town, SA
- Archival Survival, Hawthorn, Victoria
- Conservation Resources, Preston, Victoria
- Endangered Textiles, Canberra, ACT (02) 6287 1291
- Munters, Northmead, NSW
- Preservation Australia, Enmore, NSW
- Zetta Florence, Fitzroy, Victoria
- Centre for Cultural Materials Conservation offers conservation training through academic programs and can provide conservation services and advice for individuals or organisations.
- The University of Canberra offers a Bachelor of Cultural Heritage Conservation
Library Preservation Glossary
- Grants / Australia Council for the Arts.
- Nonprofit/community sector grants / Philanthropy Australia.
- Veteran & Community Grants / Australian Government Department of Veterans' Affairs
- Grants - Helping You Preserve Our Heritage / Australian National Maritime Museum.
- Funding & Support Opportunities / Ministry for the Arts, Attorney General's Department
- Guide to Community Grants / Department of the Parliamentary Library.
New South Wales:
- Arts Grants / Regional Arts NSW
- Museum Grants / Gallery Grants / Mentorship & Fellowship / Museums & Galleries NSW
- Cultural Grants / Arts NSW
- Heritage and Cultural Grants / Royal Australian Historical Society
- Funding Opportunities / Museum & Gallery Services Queensland Ltd
- Public libraries grants / State Library of Queensland
- Grant Programs: Funding and Support for Heritage Conservation / Department of Sustainability and Environment, Victoria
- Grants & Awards / Public Record Office Victoria.
- Victoria's Heritage Grants / Heritage Victoria
- Grants / Department of Environment and Natural Resources, South Australia
- South Australian History Fund / Community History Unit, History Trust of South Australia.
- History Grants / Northern Territory Archives Service
- Grants / Heritage Tasmania