- What we collect
- Preserving our collections
- Building our collections
- Selected Library collections
- Collection statistics
- History of the collection
- Processing and describing our collections
All public areas of the National Library are open to visitors. Check our Visit page for more information.
As of Saturday 6 March 2021, check-in to the Library via the Check In CBR app is mandatory in the ACT for visitors over the age of 16.
To ensure your health and safety at the National Library, we are complying with ACT Government health directions. When you enter our building, you must abide by our conditions of entry, which include the following COVID Safe requirements. Please:
- register your visit using the Check In CBR app. If you do not have access to the app, see staff at the Foyer Information Desk, who can check you in
- practise good hand hygiene and social distancing
- follow all ACT Government health advice.
Visitors experiencing symptoms of illness may be asked to leave.
Social distancing restrictions still apply accross the Library
Seating is available for up to 270 readers in the Main Reading Room, 40 readers in the Special Collections Reading Room (including the Petherick Reading Room). We welcome up to 75 visitors in each of the Treasures Gallery and Exhibitions Gallery spaces (no bookings are required, except for Treasures Gallery tours).
- If visitor numbers in each area reach maximum capacity, you may be asked to delay your entry to a particular area.
- We encourage you to bring and use your own devices when visiting the Library. Free wi-fi is available throughout the building.
- Contactless payment is preferred for all transactions, including for printing credit, cafe and bookshop purchases.
We're always open online
- Discover free learning resources for primary and secondary students in our Digital Classroom.
- Enjoy our online events program, which includes learning webinars, videos, podcasts and blog posts.
- Ask a Librarian for help with research questions and navigating our collections.
- Visit our bookshop, home to the best in Australian writing.