- Use the Library’s catalogue to find what you need and see if it is available online.
- If an item is online, you will see a link in the catalogue record next to ‘Online Access’.
- Some online resources can be accessed from outside the Library but you’ll need to get a Library card.
- Access eResources directly from the Library homepage. You can browse indexes, full-text ejournals, websites and guides available online.
- Login to eResources using your Library card to access subscription services.
- There is an online video on the eResources homepage that explains how the site works.
- Trove is a free search service created by the National Library of Australia, which lets you check to see if an item you want is at a library near you.
- Trove is also good for finding online material, such as pictures, maps, archived websites, digitised Australian newspapers (1803 - 1954) and the Australian Women’s Weekly Archive.
- Check out our how-to guide and online video can I get copies of items from the Library?
- The Library's copying service, Copies Direct is a fast, easy and inexpensive way to get copies of material from our collections.
Another option is to request an item be delivered to your local library. Your local library will be able to tell you about this service, called interlibrary loan, including how much it costs.
If you have an enquiry about any of these services you can Ask a Librarian for help via email or phone.
The National Library is a resource for all Australians no matter where you are in the country you can jump on our website and access quality information and resources. (rocket sound)
Get your free library card to get the most out of our services. Use the catalogue to see what we have in our collection. Many things can only be used in the library but if it's online there will be a link to it from the catalogue.
e-resources lets you browse and find online information on any subject. Use your library card to access academic papers, e-books and online newspapers.
Trove is a great service for finding online material especially pictures, maps and historic Australian newspapers. If there's something you want that's not on-line then there are other options to get it. Trove is also a free search service. Use it to check if the item you want is available at a library near you. If you can't get it locally you might be able to order a copy. Check out our video on Copies Direct for how to get a photocopy or organise an inter-library loan.
Visit our website to find all these services and more including our guides on a range of research topics
The National Library of Australia. A home for Australia's stories.