National Library Of Australia | FAQs


Find recent, topical or questions of interest here.

Our FAQ information is continually expanding. It contains answers written by librarians in response to questions already asked. Type your keyword into the box and click on “Go”.

Can't find the answer? Submit your enquiry online.

How can I get a birth, death or marriage certificate from England?

You may obtain copies of birth, death and marriage certificates for England and Wales from the General Register Office for the period 1837 to the present time. Microfiche indexes to birth, death or marriage registrations in England and Wales from 1837 can be found in our Newspapers and Family History zone. Indexes are also available online via the Ancestry (Library Edition) and the Findmypast UK databases. Both of these resources are only available from within the National Library building.

A number of free online indexes are available too:

FreeBMD provides a free search on the GRO indexes. This project is not yet complete and a breakdown of coverage is provided. provides free searches and images of index pages.

Another website which charges a fee for searching the indexes is

The Heraldry & Genealogy Soc. of Canberra can obtain a copy of the certificate for you, once you have the appropriate details. A cost is involved. Scotlands People provides an index search and certificate image service for registrations in Scotland.

Find this topic in E-Resources.

Last update: 2015-05-04 15:08
Author: General Reference Enquiry