Reappointed on 9 February 2016 for a second term until 1 March 2017.
Ms Schwirtlich holds a BA (Honours) (Macquarie University) Dip Information Management (University of NSW).
She is currently Director-General of the National Library of Australia.
She previously has held the following positions:
- Chief Executive Officer and State Librarian at the State Library of Victoria
- Acting Director-General at the National Archives of Australia
- Assistant Director-General, Public and Reader Services at the National Archives of Australia
- Acting Director, Australian Collections and Information Services at the National Library of Australia
- Director, Access and Information Services at the National Archives of Australia
- Senior Curator, Printed and Written Records, and Art (1993-1994) at the Australian War Memorial.