Note: On Monday 4 May 2015, a new Newspapers and Family History zone will open in the Main Reading Room.
As a part of the National Library’s ongoing Reading Room Integration Project, a new Newspapers and Family History zone will open in the Main Reading Room at 10 am on Monday 4 May 2015. All newspapers, microform collections, scanning equipment and family history resources will then be located within the expanded Main Reading Room on the ground floor. The renovated facilities include two rooms for collaborative work. The new service will have the same opening hours as the Main Reading Room.
The Newspapers and Microforms Reading Room will remain accessible until close of business on Thursday 30 April, but will be closed on Friday 1 May and Saturday 2 May to facilitate the transition. Some microform collections currently on open access may be inaccessible in the days leading up to the move. The new area within the Main Reading Room will include casual seating for reading current newspapers and a display of family history journals.
The Newspapers and Microforms Reading Room provides you with:
- recent issues of Australian and international newspapers
- historical newspapers, journals, government records and manuscripts on microform
- family history resources including current and historical electoral rolls
- passes to the Controlled Access Stack for government papers
- eResources including full-text newspapers and family history databases
- microform reader/scanners
- computers with large screens and trackball mouse.
Until Thursday 30 April 2015 after hours access to the Newspaper and Microforms Collection may be possible through the Main Reading Room by prior arrangement.
NB: For reasons of preservation, access to microform copies is preferred to print unless absolutely necessary.