A guide to locating birth, death and marriage records in each Australian State and Territory.
This guide to Australian birth, death and marriage (BDM) records provides:
- Links to State and Territory Registry offices and to [their] freely accessible online indexes, where available
- Links to Library networked BDM indexes (on eResources)
- Links to Library subscription resources (for access within the Library only)
- Descriptions of microfilmed resources available on open access within the Library’s Newspapers and Family History zone
- Descriptions of other freely accessible resources within the Newspapers and Family History zone
- Search strategies for locating other Australian-related Birth, Marriage and Death records within or accessible from the Library
Most Australian States and Territories publish indexes to 'historic' births, deaths and marriages registered in their respective jurisdictions. Use these indexes to locate official registrations of life events and obtain registration numbers. Other information such as date and place of the event, parents’ names and age at time of death may also be supplied in these indexes. The date range of publication depends on legislation enacted in each State or Territory, so the coverage of indexes varies between each jurisdiction.
Links to online indexes, where provided, are available from this guide and via eResources in the reading rooms. Open access to most indexes on microfiche is provided in the Newspapers and Family History zone of the Main Reading Room. Certificates may be purchased from the appropriate State or Territory Registries.
The contents of certificates vary from state to state and differ over time within each state. See 'What you might expect to see on an historical AUS BDM certificate' for a description.
Australian State Libraries, local libraries and genealogical societies may also hold these indexes.