- What we collect
- Preserving our collections
- Building our collections
- Selected Library collections
- Collection statistics
- History of the collection
- Processing and describing our collections
How to access cemetery and burial records available in electronic format.
There are currently several websites that contain and provide free access to Australia-wide burial and cemetery information. These include the following:
- Australian Cemeteries
- Australian Cemeteries Index
- Australia, Cemetery Inscriptions 1802-2005 (FamilySearch)
- Interment.net : Cemetery Records Online
- www.ozburials.com (Lorraine's cemetery records pages)
- Australian Cemetery Geolocations
Other websites provide access to either state, city or locality-specific cemetery information. These sites are listed under the state-specific pages of this guide.
A direct keyword search on your favourite search engine should also retrieve some relevant results, eg: a search for 'kalgoorlie' and 'cemetery' in Google reveals an entry for the website Outback Family History. This site has a Cemeteries page with over 200 links to further pages on cemeteries that contain information ranging from names, dates of death, burial, plot numbers and photographs of individual gravesites.
Local & Family History Societies
In addition to official records still maintained by local government authorities, local and family history groups may be able to assist with records or transcriptions kept or created by group members. Some indexed or transcribed material may have been published or might only be accessible via the group or individual group members.
Details of current local and family history groups, societies or associations in your area of interest can be located in several ways. These include:
- Search of family history group websites
eg: A search for 'geraldton' and 'family history' in Google reveals an entry for the Geraldton Family History Society which provides the searchable database of records of Midwest Burial, Cremations and Memorials since 1890 - Mid West Death Register
In addition to freely accessible websites the Library also has a number of subscription databases relating to cemeteries, burials and transcriptions that are available only for use within the Library. You can find the following eResources by visiting our eResources portal and searching for each database under the Browse eResources tab:
- Ancestry (Library Edition) - Australia Cemetery Index 1808-2007
- Findmypast - (various)
CD-ROMs in the Library
In addition to the Library's subscription databases, the following CD-ROM resources can be requested through the Library's catalogue for access within the Library.
- Riverina cemeteries
- Canberra Times Index 1926-1974
- Index to the Charles Kinsela Funeral Directors registers 1905-1982
- Dern Index Queensland
- Lonely Graves in South Australia
- Melbourne General Cemetery: Index and Transcriptions of Monumental Inscriptions to 1989
- Waverley & South Head General Cemeteries Transcriptions