- What we collect
- Preserving our collections
- Building our collections
- Selected Library collections
- Collection statistics
- History of the collection
- Processing and describing our collections
Ephemera is material which is designed to be short lived and which is often not kept by its recipient. The National Library of Australia has been collecting ephemera for over 100 years and the collection includes all kinds of material: minor publications and pamphlets as well as leaflets, handbills, invitations, cards, menus and junk mail.
The ephemera material held by the Library relating to Federation includes programmes, invitations, posters, handbills promotional material, albums of newspaper and magazine clippings
Catalogue search tips
Descriptions for material in the collection are progressively being added to the Library's catalogue. To find relevant material add 'ephemera' to any keyword search. Some examples are listed below:
- Celebrations Federation ephemera
- Celebrations Federation 1901 programmes and invitations
- Royal visits 1901 ephemera
The Library has also developed an ephemera thesaurus to help in locating ephemeral material in the Library's collections.