The National Library of Australia's map collection contains over 600,000 maps and 2,500 atlases. This includes:
- More than 200,000 post-1900 Australian maps, which provide comprehensive coverage of topographic mapping published by the national and state mapping authorities
- standard topographic series at large, medium and small scales (in metric and imperial measures),
- a wide range of thematic maps including soils, geology and population.
- County and parish maps, electoral maps and census maps are particular strengths of the collection.
- Overseas map collecting with an emphasis on regions nearest to Australia, including the Pacific and Asia.
- Standard topographic, aeronautical and hydrographic chart series.