A large range of current and historic newspapers in digital format can be directly accessed online and via eResources.
Some of our subscription resources can be accessed from home or work by Australian residents who are registered readers of the Library. These can be identified in eResources by the use of the 'key' symbol and include:
- Factiva database gives you full-text coverage of Australian and overseas newspapers from approximately the late 1980s to the present. Coverage of individual publications varies.
- Library PressDisplay provides access to over 1000 newspapers in 40 languages from more than 80 countries. Coverage is provided for one year only.
- Gale NewsVault allows you to cross-search across the Gale Newspaper services which include newspapers from London, the English regions, home country newspapers from Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales. The time period covered by these combined collections is 1600-1950.
- Fairfax online archive News Store is freely available online. Coverage goes back to approximately 1986. Some Fairfax titles are not available via the archive including the Australian Financial Review, BRW and BOSS.
- Sydney Morning Herald Archives 1955-1995 provides full-text coverage to every edition of the Sydney Morning Herald and The Sun-Herald between January 1st, 1955 and February 2nd, 1995. The Archives are available onsite in the National Library building only.
- The Tasmanian Mail 1877-1920 has been digitized and is available for access via the LINC Tasmania catalogue
There are also some databases that you can only access at the Library.
Please visit our eResources page for more information and to view the full list of available databases.
Does your local library have what you're looking for?
Check to see if your local public or state library has what you want. Select your closest library to register and browse their available eResources.