On the 9 May 1901, the Duke of Cornwall and York opened Australia’s federal parliament in Melbourne. Spectacular civic celebrations lasted over a week!
Temporary arches were built around the city, and electric lights decorated public buildings, while demonstrations, parades and performances took place during the day.
The Argus newspaper described Melbourne as ‘A new city was created yesterday to welcome the Heir-Apparent and his Royal Consort—a veritable Paris of the South, the city of a faerie dreamland.’ (7 May 1901).
Feast your eyes on our Treasures Gallery slideshow of marvellous Melbourne during the 1901 celebrations.
The images featured in this slideshow are:
- Queen Victoria Arch, Intersection of Collins and Russell Streets, nla.cat-vn769562
- Queen Victoria Arch, Illuminated, nla.cat-vn769601
- Government Offices, Spring Street, nla.cat-vn2291918
- Government Offices, Spring Street, Illuminated, nla.cat-vn769946
- Town Hall, Corner of Collins and Swanston Streets, nla.cat-vn2292270
- Town Hall, Illuminated, nla.cat-vn769838
- Chinese Arch, Swanston Street, nla.cat-vn3356032
- Approach to Princes Bridge (nla.cat-vn2292068)
- Approach to Princes Bridge, Illuminated, nla.cat-vn2292191
- Illuminated Arch, Princes Bridge, nla.cat-vn769914
- Flinders Street Railway Station, Arch and Fountain Illuminated, nla.cat-vn769762
- State School Fête, Exhibition Building, nla.cat-vn2291854
- State School Fête, Exhibition Building, nla.cat-vn769429
- Exhibition Building, Illuminated, nla.cat-vn2292033
- Flemington Racecourse, Horse Parades and Marches, nla.cat-vn769985
- Demonstration of Men Exercising, nla.cat-vn770019
- The Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York Viewing the March of Trade Societies and Friendly Societies, nla.cat-vn2292526
- Russian Cruiser Gromoboi Lying at Port Melbourne Railway Pier, nla.cat-vn770090
- German, Russian, Dutch and American Cruisers at Port Melbourne, nla.cat-vn769724
- Stockmen's Procession Passing Along Spring Street, nla.cat-vn770177
- The Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York Driving Along Bourke Street, nla.cat-vn3355464
- The Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York Proceeding to Open the First Parliament of the Commonwealth of Australia, nla.cat-vn3355483