- What we collect
- Preserving our collections
- Building our collections
- Selected Library collections
- Collection statistics
- History of the collection
- Processing and describing our collections
The Library welcomes offers of published and original material to enhance our historical and research collections.
We are interested in a wide range of research materials in all formats, including:
- unpublished personal and organisational records
- books and pamphlets
- magazines and newspapers
- photographs and artworks
- digital publications
- sheet music, unpublished sound and folklore recordings and oral history interviews
- ephemeral material such as advertising posters and theatre programs
If you have material which you think may be of interest to the Library, we will be happy to advise you about the best and most appropriate home for it.
Please contact us prior to sending or delivering any material offered for consideration.
For offers of published material email the relevant collection area:
- printed Australiana or overseas publications
- sheet music
- online publications
- Asian language publications
- Oral history & folklore
Pictures & Manuscripts collection offer
How to make an offer to our Pictures & Manuscripts collection or check on an existing offer.
Cultural Gifts Program and tax incentives
Some donations of culturally significant items are eligible as a tax deduction for the market value of the gift under the Australian Government’s Cultural Gifts Program.
Other collecting institutions
A contacts list of state libraries and other specialist collecting institutions can be found here.
Read our Donation FAQs for lots of helpful information about the Library’s collecting scope, the donation process and how donations are used by the Library.