Libraries are required to understand and accept the following conditions of borrowing material from the National Library of Australia’s collections.
Material available for loan
- Please note that loans are currently suspended to the end of February 2022, due to ongoing Covid-19 outbreaks.
- Australian and New Zealand libraries may borrow selected monograph material held at the National Library of Australia.
- Serials and special collections are not available for loan.
- Due to the range of material held by the National Library, it is not possible to clearly outline availability. However we will advise if the item you have requested is not available for loan.
- For more information on conditions of lending for specific types of material see the National and State Libraries of Australasia Collaborative Lending Principles.
- The loan period for material borrowed from the National Library is 10 weeks.
- If an extension is required please email us. Additional charges will apply.
- For some special materials for example heavily used newspapers, the loan period is 5 weeks with no extensions.
Overdue and lost items
- Overdue notices are sent at the end of the loan period. If no response is received within 90 business days, we will assume the item is lost and send you an invoice for its replacement.
- A first and a final reminder are sent out before issuing the invoice, allowing you enough time to either email us or return the item.
- The charge for each lost item is $300.00 AUD (GST inclusive). This includes a $150 non-refundable administrative fee on issue of the invoice. We reserve the right to charge the full replacement cost of valuable or hard-to-replace items.