What is Legal Deposit?
Legal Deposit is a requirement under the Copyright Act 1968 for publishers and self publishing authors to deposit a copy of any print work published in Australia with the National Library and when applicable, the deposit libraries in your home state. Legal Deposit ensures that Australian publications are preserved for use now and in the future.
What is covered by legal deposit?
Works you need to deposit include books, periodicals such as newsletters or annual reports, newspapers, sheet music, maps, posters, plans, charts, tables, programmes, catalogues, brochures or pamphlets.
How to deposit
Please send a copy of your work to the National Library of Australia as soon as it is published:
Legal Deposit Unit
National Library of Australia
Canberra ACT 2600
Telephone: 02 6262 1312
Fax: 02 6273 4492
Attach your name and address so a Legal Deposit receipt can be sent.
In addition to depositing with the National Library, each state and territory in Australia has their own Legal Deposit requirements.
- Read about Legal deposit requirements Australia wide.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Are government publications subject to Legal Deposit?
- Does Legal Deposit cover electronic publications?
- Do I have to register or fill in any forms?
In Australia copyright protection is granted automatically once a work is created. There is no inherent relationship between Legal Deposit and copyright.
The Australian Copyright Council can provide advice to authors and publishers on copyright.
The National Library has a mandate to collect and preserve Australian publications. Legal Deposit ensures that:
- the works published in Australia survive for the use of future generations
- records for Legal Deposit publications are searchable in the National Library's Internet search engine Trove and in national and international bibliographic databases like Libraries Australia and Worldcat
- both commercial and self-published works receive wide exposure
Did you know?
Every year the National Library of Australia collects over 12,000 books on Legal Deposit in all languages.