We operate a collection delivery service because collection items are held in closed book stacks. Please submit requests for collection material within the times indicated below for same day delivery. Requests submitted after the latest listed time will be delivered to reading rooms on the next delivery day.
Our more heavily used Collections are stored onsite. Items requested from these Collections are generally delivered to reading rooms within 45 minutes, provided you have placed your request within the following timeframes:
|Monday to Thursday||Friday||Saturday||Sunday|
|Main Reading Room||9 am to 5 pm||9 am to 3.45 pm||No deliveries*||No deliveries*|
|Petherick Reading Room**||9 am to 5 pm||9 am to 3.45 pm||No deliveries*||No deliveries*|
|Newspapers and Microforms Reading Room||9 am to 4.30 pm||9 am to 4.30 pm||No deliveries*||
|Asian, Maps, Pictures and Manuscripts Reading Rooms||9 am to 4.30pm||9 am to 4.30 pm||Closed*||
* If you arrange it in advance with staff in the relevant reading room, you can still use special collections material (e.g. Asian collections, manuscripts, maps, pictures, newspapers and microforms) on Monday to Thursday evenings and Saturdays. You can also arrange to use general Asian Collections, Newspapers and Microforms Collections in the Main Reading Room on Sundays.
** Certain materials require staff supervision and are accessible only through the Petherick Reading Room. These materials, which include sheet music, oral history transcripts and audio, rare books, special formed collections and ephemera, are only delivered to the Petherick Reading Room at set times.
We deliver at set intervals throughout the working day as shown below. The Catalogue indicates from which reading room you can collect your requests.
|Cut-off times for requests||For delivery by …|
|Monday to Friday||8.30 am (overnight requests)
|Saturday to Sunday*||No deliveries||No deliveries|
* Note: If you want to use material from offsite collections on the weekend, submit your request by 2 pm on Fridays.
There are no Oral History Collection deliveries on weekends. Requests placed by 4 pm Mondays to Fridays will be available for use in the Petherick Reading Room the following morning.
- Printed Australian newspapers published before 1 January 2001 (microfilm holdings are stored onsite)
- Printed overseas newspapers published before 1 January 2006 (microfilm holdings are stored onsite)
- Overseas journals (magazines and serials) published before 1 January 2005
- Some Manuscripts Collection material
Most Manuscripts Collection material held offsite can be delivered in accordance with the times indicated above. However, some material requires four weeks notice – these collections are clearly identified in the Library's Catalogue.
- Selected other foreign language material