- What we collect
- Preserving our collections
- Building our collections
- Selected Library collections
- Collection statistics
- History of the collection
- Processing and describing our collections
Visit our Special Collections Reading Room on Level 1 to view material from the Asian, pictures, manuscripts, maps, oral history, music, ephemera and rare printed collections.
In our Special Collections Reading Room you can also:
- ask our friendly staff for advice on using special collections for your research
- access free computers with internet and Microsoft Office suite for your special collections research and use
- use audio equipment to listen to our Oral History and Folklore collections
- browse our reference collection curated to support your use of our unique collections
Collection material is delivered to the Special Collections reading room three times per weekday, and access to this unique material often involves special handling or access conditions. To make the most of your research time, read our tips in the Using the Special Collections Reading Room guide and our collection delivery times before you visit.
For the security of our collections you are not able to bring any bags, food or drink into the Special Collections Reading Room. Food and drink, large bags, coats, umbrellas and other large objects can be stored in our free self-service lockers on Lower Ground 1.
The Special Collections Reading Room is open Monday to Thursday 10am–8pm and Friday to Saturday 10am-5pm. The Special Collections Reading Room is closed on Sundays and public holidays.
The Petherick Reading Room is co-located within the Special Collections Reading Room and provides a dedicated space for registered advanced researchers.