Applications for 2018 Summer Scholarships are now open, and will close 30 September 2017.
Our annual summer scholarships support younger scholars undertaking postgraduate research, who require special access to the Library’s collections.
Scholars spend six weeks at the Library, commencing in the second week of January each year. They have privileged access to the Library’s materials and facilities, as well as sustained interaction with Library staff.
Norman McCann Scholarships are offered to those working in Australian history, Australian literature, librarianship, archives administration, and museum studies. Seymour Scholarships will be for those undertaking biographical research.
Get inspired: read more about the work of our previous Summer Scholars
What assistance is offered?
Scholarship holders receive:
- an honorarium of $300 per week
- twin share accommodation for six weeks at University House, ANU (breakfast included), and
- a return economy air fare from their home within Australia.
These scholarships are made possible through the generosity of the family of the late Norman McCann (a former National Library Council Member), and of John and Heather Seymour.
'My time at the Library remains–and I expect it will remain–the absolute highlight of my PhD candidature. The Summer Scholars program is unique in how immersive it is. It is an opportunity to experience life as a full-time academic in a major cultural institution, provides access to a beautiful workspace and the Library's resources, and surrounds you with knowledgeable and hugely supportive staff.'
– Meg Brayshaw, 2016 Summer Scholar
Who can apply?
The scholarships are open to students who:
- have commenced PhD study, and
- are under the age of thirty at 31 December in the year of their application*
Applicants must be Australian citizens or have permanent residency.
Preference is given to applicants who would otherwise find it difficult to access the Library’s collections (for example, due to distance from Canberra).
*Note: age limit is a condition requested by the donors
How are applications judged?
In selecting scholars the National Library of Australia Fellowships Advisory Committee will consider:
- an applicant's academic potential and capacity for research
- the value and quality of the proposed research at the Library to the applicant's academic progress
- the relevance of the National Library's collections for the proposed research
How to apply
- Register as an applicant
- Complete and submit your application online (instructions are provided during the application process)
IMPORTANT: please attach to your application a certified transcript of your academic record, and a recently completed piece of research writing (e.g. a thesis chapter). These must be in PDF format.
- Nominate two referees, with their current contact details.
After submitting, you will receive a confirmation email with a reference number and copy of your application attached.
Fellowships and scholarships